Chet's Statue

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet's Statue

Postby donusa1 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:43 pm

I was in Nashville last week for my son's wedding. During a down time, I went to 5th street and found Chet's statue and wanted a picture with it. There were two homeless guys there and they wouldn't leave but asked me for money. My wife took my picture anyway and got part of them, too. Has anyone else had this experience?

On a different note, I hadn't been to Nashville for several years and was astounded how crowded lower Broadway had become. Every block had several clubs, all with live music even during the day. It was all Telecaster and volume. The restaurants were crowded and everything was hopping.
donusa1

Re: Chet's Statue

Postby Doug Working » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:16 pm

Last time I was there, been a loooooooooong time, I went to that ginormous hotel. The one with the river running through it. Anyway, I distinctly remember music being pumped through the speakers in the hall, and to my delight my ears were picking up Chet playing "From Nashvillle With Love."

In fact, I think I recall they played several Chet cuts through those speakers. The point is they actually HONORED Mr Guitar back then. They gave him the honor he is due.

It's my guess that they don't do that anymore, these days.

Sad.

Doug
Doug Working

Postby AlBaggetta » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:04 am

Probably the same homeless guy I saw. Last summer my son was driving me around and we couldn't stop, but went by the statue. Tried to snap a picture on the move, but somebody was sitting right in the way. Oh, well. Hope he was comfortable with the master looking on.
Al B.
AlBaggetta

Postby Doug Working » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:01 pm

I think Chet would understand. Back in the very beginning, on or around about the time Chet was first hanging around with Archie Campbell, Chet had to spend more than one night sleeping in the back of a car. So I really do think he would understand and emphasize.

Doug
Last edited by Doug Working on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug Working

Postby Norm » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:48 pm

I think the idea is for you to give him couple of bucks to stay out of your photo with the statue
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins