Ol' Joe Clark Opening Chords?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Ol' Joe Clark Opening Chords?

Postby Doug Working » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:40 pm

I've been trying to figure out Chet's arrangement of 'Ol' Joe Clark' for a pretty long time. Not the fast pickin' part. I know I'll never play that, but the intro chords up to where he starts playing fast.

I figured out SOME of them. But others elude me.

Has anybody ever nailed this one and could share the chords?
Doug Working

Re: Ol' Joe Clark Opening Chords?

Postby rhirvine » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:58 pm

I really liked Chet's arrangement of "ol' Joe Clark" but I don't know any of it. Sorry.
Rich Irvine
rhirvine

Postby DagerRande » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:03 am

Doug, I love that arrangement too. I learned it a number of years ago. I've never tried to write any of it down because I'm not formally trained and depend totally upon "feeling". However, I have painstakingly constructed a few songs with Tabledit, although I can't use it to its full potential because I don't use the timing correctly. I've tabbed a few things for others but I let them know in advance that all I can do is to show them the notes and where to put their fingers. They have to know what it's supposed to sound like as far as the timing. If you ever try to play the fast part, the most important thing is to use the "right" fingers of the picking hand at the right time. Do you have Tabledit?
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:32 pm

No. Can it be had on I-pad? I-pad is all I have. Don't have a home p.c.anymore.
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:39 am

Doug, I know that there is an iPhone version so I would assume there is an iPad version. You can check on http://www.tabledit.com. Their free version has no time limit and does everything that the paid version does but it has been so long that I forgot how they differ? It seems to me that the free version had a few nuisance things that get in the way. I paid about $60 for it years ago and the upgrades are free for life. I would like to get better at inputting songs into but a formal music background is required to really make use of it. I've tabbed a few things with it by ear and people who know what they're doing tell me that what I do looks strange and the timing isn't perfect. Like I said, all that I get right are the notes and the fingering. People who know what the song sounds like are just grateful for what I've figured out and they can work the timing out themselves. Once you download it and have it running I can send you a few tabs that I got from Jack Baker several years ago. I believe that a well done version of "Old Joe Clark" is among those. That type of file (a tef file) isn't allowed to be attached here but I could email it to you as an attachment.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:18 pm

Steve was kind enough to send me a really accurate tab of "Ol Joe Clark." It quickly solved the mystery for me of those illusive chords. I slapped my forehead and was like "D'oh!"

After years of failed efforts, guitarists forum today finally sent me the cassette tape of John Knowles "Sittin' Back Pickin'" and boy, was I ever happy to get it! This is gold for me, as this CD or cassette is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to get these days. Out of production. I've searched high and low.

Anyway, John has his own splendid arrangement of the tune on it, and it's not similar to Chet's arrangement, but it's a fantastic arrangement. I'm going to learn it, also. In fact, all of John's arrangements on the tape are to die for. "Black Is the Color Of My True Love's Hair" is worth the price of the tape, itself. My hat's off to John. He's definitely a genuine, authentic true blue CGP..

I have the book that goes along with it, but my original tape got lost in the process of moving and separating from my wife and all that junk. To now have the tape in my possession is a dream come true.
Doug Working

A word of clarification

Postby TablEdit » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:12 am

Founded in 1997, TablEdit editor runs on Mac and Windows. TEFpad, a lite version of TablEdit, has been developed for Android and iOS.
TEFview, the free Viewer for TablEdit files, runs on Windows, Mac, iOS and Android. It also imports TabRite, PowerTab, Guitar Pro and MusicXML files as well. http://www.tabledit.com/tefview/
TablEdit

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins