I Know That You Know tab

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

I Know That You Know tab

Postby Steve Sanders » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:12 pm

Hey feller-pickers! I was wunderin' where I might get the tab for Chet's "I Know That You Know" from his "Mister Guitar" record. It's wunna them tunes we've all heard for years and now I would sure like to try and figger it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks, Steve
Steve Sanders

Re: I Know That You Know tab

Postby Pickin Palmer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:53 pm

No tab, Steve, but I figgered it out on my own and been playing it (the A key portion) for years. I'm not sure the "band" stayed with the same exact chord progression when Chet "took it to C" - so, I've never "pushed" the "circle" to chord along with me in C...

It's one of my favorite tunes to play on Tuesday Evenings at the McConnell Arts Center because the non-Chet knowledgeable audience will always ask when I'm through, "What's the name of that tune, Palmer?" And, I ALWAYS come back with, "Oh, you know the name of it. I Know You Know the name of it." It takes them a couple times before they remember that I pull that "joak" on them, EVERY TIME! LOLOL

Key of A chord progression: (starts on a 2 chord) B (3rd it it,) E (6th in it), A (6th), F#, B (3rd), E, A (stop) (The melody notes are right out of those 3rds, and 6ths...)

Over and over. Doesn't last very long cuz there's no bridge....

I've got the "finger rolls" in the second verse figured out, but I'm a HORRIBLE tabber (if any of you recall my tabs before the really good tabbers took over Chet tabs...) I will feed them to you a bit at a time - if you are interested.
They took me awhile to figger out - but, they are SO NEAT!!!!

Good luck with the tune - she's goodun...

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby LMark » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:11 pm

Chet really cut loose about the time he changed keys on that one, didn't he? Enough energy there to light up New York City! LMark
LMark

Postby Pickin Palmer » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:19 am

Really, Marcus! I let Band-in-da-Box transpose my A verse into C, changed the "drum kit" to more "swing" and tried to "wing along" to the tune like Chet did - yet, ended up coming up far short... I don't know if youz guys know this or not - but, that Chet guy was quite the guitar picker.... LOLOLOL
Pickin Palmer

Postby LMark » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:21 pm

It's been about sixteen years since I used BIAB―to make that CD for my dad. Can you get better rhythms now, like simple brushes, etc.―like what you hear in "I Know"? Back then it was impossible to be entirely rid of those goofy, wonky crashes and stuff that seemed to be hard-coded into the rhythm. I hated that. It was the most counter-intuitive thing I ever dealt with. From what I have read, you need a real live human being to get good rhythm. But 999 of 1000 "percussionists" have no idea how rhythm is supposed to work with Chet picking. (Genuine percussionists do!) [So, you want to know what I think about drums?]
LMark

Postby Pickin Palmer » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:16 pm

Don't know, Mark... I never used it to record or "play out" (well, I did try to use it on a gig once - didn't go well - unrealistic drums (lol) I only used it to practice and bone up on my timing (I HATE to rush - or, play with rushers.) I'm had been using a "turn of the century" vintage version of BIAB.

I did hear that the newer versions have some "real" sound kits - but, just haven't had time or a reason to dig into it. There's this lady bass player that comes and sits in the "circle" - I've taught her all my changes - I tap my foot on my PorchBoard - and, that's enuff for me.
Pickin Palmer

Postby Roger Pratt » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:32 pm

Steve, I have the tab but I need an email address for you.
Roger Pratt

Postby DagerRande » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:26 pm

BIAB is nothing like it used to be. I don't know how they do it but now the sounds are digital audio rather than MIDI. They are recorded by professional musicians and then once captured they conform to whatever chord progression or rhythm pattern than you choose. I have the most recent version and love it but you have to learn how to use it effectively. Most people don't get past the basic entering of chords and rhythm styles. There is a missive PDF manual that shows a lot. I have a friend who has made 5 albums with his and people asked him who he hired for his backup musicians. You should check it out on YouTube or just go to www.pgmusic.com and listen to their demos.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Return to Announcement and News