Phasing out Chet??

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Phasing out Chet??

Postby Doug Working » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:16 pm

Has anybody lately notched E-surance playing Dream Weaver instead of Jam Man?? Are they phasing out Chet? All I can say is that if they are tired of the tune, Chet has hundreds of others that they can choose from!
Doug Working

Re: Phasing out Chet??

Postby Doug Working » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:04 pm

Just discovered my spelling error. "Notched" was supposed to be "noticed". Oops!!
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:39 am

Doug, those corrections can be done after posting. I've done it many times. No need to create a separate post.
I agree with you about Chet and E-surance. My problem is that I wish they had chosen a different song in the first place. When I've told people for so long how wonderful Chet was and then point out his playing in that commercial, they aren't that impressed. It doesn't show off his capabilities, but then I guess it wasn't supposed to.
Last edited by DagerRande on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:38 pm

I agree, because it's only a snippet of the whole tune.

Actually though, Ytube shows that a lot of people found the tune catchy wondering "Who is that??", and then out of curiosity were then introduced to Chet for the first time, thus prompting further exploration into his repertoire. So he's gained some new fans, which s what it's all about.

But do you think they are phasing him out of the ads?

And which dream tune of Chet's would you like to hear in the ad if you had your druthers?

On a side note, when I was a small kid, there was a local TV station (back when they actually had such entities, and they are now an anachronism) that had a weather guy who played a backwoods, yokel character, and his name was "Cy", and the show was "Cy's Weather". Anyway, the theme music to the show was....wait for it....Chet's recording of "Country Gentleman"

Ahhhhhh! Sweet memories!!
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:45 pm

Doug, I don't know if Chet is being "phased out" of the commercial. It has been running for quite a while. Commercials change after a while regardless of their content or who is in them.The one exception that comes to my mind is the "My Pillow" commercial......lol.

As far as a "dream tune" I've learned over the years that the average listener isn't attracted to a song in the same way as a skilled guitarist would be because we know what we are listening for and we've tried a lot of the skills that we hear. I remember playing "Cascade" and "Black Mt. Rag'" for a few people who were curious about my guitar playing and there was basically no reaction until I played "Windy and Warm". Playing for other guitarists is entirely different than for the general public. This is why the "Grand Ole Opry" musicians would often get together at Ernest Tubb's record shop after a show. I would go crazy having to be limited just to relate to people who don't know how to appreciate or understand skilled guitar playing!

So my answer to your question is that people have related to "Jam Man" and that's what matters. I just wouldn't ask one of my friends to listen to that commercial to "show Chet off" for their first exposure to him.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Pickin Palmer » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:18 am

You folks know that our current line up of traveling guitarist don't play tunes that are all the "familiar" to general audiences. It was for that reason I suggested to Richard Smith, awhile bace, that he might add Jam Man to the "comedy" section of his concerts to add something they would all know. NO REACTION from him. That tune is so far below what he can do - he just wouldn't acknowledge it. Familiarly audience pleasing or not...

Being a "tad" lower level player, ma'self - I've tried it on folks to see who would recognize it - but, I guess without those wild echo effects they didn't. It's gotta be the effects - can't be my lack of talent... LOL

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby DagerRande » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:21 am

Palmer, I've watched Richard play a few things "below him" just for the entertainment factor so I'm guessing he wasn't ignoring you. There are multiple possibilities for non-response.

I will say however that the fact that his concerts are made up mostly of songs that impress other guitarists, is probably why his audiences are so small. Have you been to the Hedgehog in Indiana? I drove 200 miles one way to get there and have done this upon two occasions. I'm always amazed at such a small crowd for such world class talent on display!

Crowds want to be entertained, and unfortunately it doesn't take much technical guitar skill to accomplish this!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Doug Working » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:22 pm

I read in an interview once that Chet said "The public doesn't give a d_______ about technique. They only want to hear good music."

Although I'll admit, Chet with his wry sense of humor was an excellent entertainer, guitar playing aside.
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins