All tuning pegs not created equal!!

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

All tuning pegs not created equal!!

Postby Doug Working » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:40 pm

I just found this out the hard way! I thought all classical style tuning sets were standard and interchangeable. I spent some money on a new set because the pegs had come off of the shaft on both my e-strings. So I attempted a self repair. My Chet guitar has a classical fingerboard, and classical tuning pegs.

So after my purchase arrived in the mail, I took off the old ones, and lo and behold, when I tried to put them on, they didn't fit!! Rats!!!

Luckily, I have another cheaper Spanish guitar, and I reluctantly and hesitantly put them on, and they worked great. (wipe sweat from my brow!)

I'm now back in business, and with the exception of this broken nail I had mentioned in another post, am happily strumming away.

But does ANYBODY have a recommendation as to where to purchase a HIGH QUALITY set that won't break on me, and that will be easily interchangeable with what I have? I want to have an extra set ready to go, in case this one breaks, too.

Doug
Doug Working

Re: All tuning pegs not created equal!!

Postby bill raymond » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:06 am

You didn't seem to mention why they didn't fit. I'm guessing it may be the post-to-post spacing. If that's the case, you will have to measure carefully and seek a set of tuners with the correct spacing. Without knowing what you have and the size, et c., no one can tell you what tuners will fit.
bill raymond

Postby GaryL » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:13 am

I'm sure StewMac would have what you need. Compare your measurements with the StewMac specs.
GaryL

Postby Doug Working » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:13 pm

The reason I didn't say, is because it's hard to describe if you don't know the technical name for all the components.

What is the correct name for the posts with holes in them that you actually wind the strings on? Well, anyway, the ones that I started with were ivory or plastic, and the new ones were metal and not nearly as thick in diameter, and after I Pushed the unit through the three holes in the head stock, they were too short to touch where they were supposed to nest on the other end. That probably makes no sense, but as I said, it's really difficult to describe in words.

Doug
Doug Working

Postby bill raymond » Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:52 am

OK, it sounds from your description that you were attempting to replace classical tuners with steel string tuners. You may want to look here for classical tuners: http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_Parts/Tuning_Machines/Classical_Guitar_Tuning_Machines/
bill raymond

Postby Doug Working » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:20 pm

I thank you for the link, and I will check it out. When I ordered, I specified CLASSICAL GUITAR TUNERS. I got them through Amazon. These dingalings can't seem to get the simplest thing right.

Doug
Doug Working

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins