Chet's right hand nails

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Chet's right hand nails

Postby Doug Working » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:44 am

I'll check it out. I googled it, and saw that Walgreens sells it, so I went to WG last night, but they didn't have it. So I bought some stuff called Orly nail defense. Using it right now, (and there was a bewildering myriad of products to choose from!!!)(all claiming to be the best, btw.)

So I'll check Amazon with much thanks to you.

Doug
Doug Working

Postby rhirvine » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:47 pm

I noticed in the photo of Chet's right hand that he had a small finger nail. I wonder if he used it in his playing. Ever since I read an article either about or by Lenny Breau where he mentioned that he wanted to make use of all his picking fingers I have maintained that nail and use it from time to time for a really full finger picked chord. Does anybody else do the same? Just wondered. By the way I use bare nails but they hold up well to steel strings and even break quite often. I'm going to get some of that nail product that Rande mentioned. Thanks for the tip.
rhirvine

Postby Doug Working » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:30 pm

I wish I could do like Chet and use that right little finger as a rest on the guitar, but it does not work for me. I think it must be that my finger is too short. Chet seemed to do it with ease.
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:09 pm

I've been anchoring my little finger of my right hand for years. However, I've been advised by people like Richard Smith and Audie Wykle not to if I can help it. I'm the opposite of you, Doug. I can hardly play without doing it!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Norm » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:28 pm

Anybody familiar with the anecdote of when Chet saw Segovia in concert, and after the concert he went up and asked Segovia if he could see his right hand, and the old fart FLICKED his fingers at him??

I remember the line. I didn't read "flick" which would have been rude. I believe the actual word was "flopped"I'm sure Segovia got asked that a lot and offered his hand more bored than "flicked" I'm sure he understood why7 Chet asked

I recall Chet for a while wore a protective glove on his right hand? Can anyone verify that?

'Tis true. He took to wearing a right hand glove before he had the brain surgery. Pictures exist
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Norm » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:45 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, Micah, but I think your dad said he took a little Jell-O every day. Easy thing to do nowadays the way they sell it pre-made

It could be an easy thing to do because I think most of us like Jell-O

The thing about things like Jell-O and those hoof cream they sell is you wouldn't see any result until a complete root-to-usable nail which takes many months.

Sabicas, it is sais, painted his right hand nails with Duco cement
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

That should do it.
Norm

Postby Ray Bohlken » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:00 am

Norm, I remember Chet saying in some article that he started wearing a glove on his right hand to prevent breaking the nails on car door handles.
It's sure good to see you here again.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Norm » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:53 am

Thanks

I think the glove issue is mentioned in the Cochran book

Don't leave home without it.

That should do it.
Norm

Postby Doug Working » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:47 pm

Dagger, don't get me wrong. I wish I COULD do the anchor thing, and I would just to be like my hero, Chet. But just not enough finger length to be able to pull it off. Or rather, should I say, put it on. Longer is better. I have to work ten times harder to achieve results that Chet could master in a day. Little natural talent, but a TRUCKLOAD of desire.

It's a technique thing, though. A fine point, probably. I once had a classical guitar teacher years ago, who was a BEAR on technique. Kept a ruler handy to whack any lawless right hand thumb that peeked over the edge of the fingerboard.

Chet would have been in TROUBLE!

But you know what? Chet once said "The public doesn't give a damn about technique. They only want to hear good music."

Doug
Doug Working

Postby DagerRande » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:14 pm

Doug, first of all my name is backwards because I lost my password a few years ago and it's pretty difficult to get back to where you started on this board. The guys that go to the convention know me by name. Anyway, you're talking to the right person when you discuss technique. I don't need help with finding the notes or playing any particular song but when everyone else is complimenting people for their performances posted here, my comments will almost almost always involve technique. My hands are fairly large so I haven't had the trouble that you described. I don't think Chet braced his little finger all the time, especially with songs like "Requerdos De Alhambra" and a number of songs he recorded on his classical guitars. But yes, he did it a lot. Then there is Richard Smith who never does and advises against it. I believe that Audie Wykle took this seriously 6 or 7 years ago and for the most part he doesn't any more. I have difficulty NOT doing it!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins