Who thought up "harmonic-pure tone" riffs?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Who thought up "harmonic-pure tone" riffs?

Postby Pickin Palmer » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:45 am

I was fortunate enough to get to talk a little bit with jazz guitarist Russell Malone after his concert at Annual Denison University Jazz Guitar Festival in Greenville, OH, last night. During his concert he played an amazing solo "finger style" intro to a well known tune (can't remember the toon) that included some very tasty "harmonic-pure tone" riffs - so, like the idiot I am, I asked him who "influenced" him into working them up. (Another words - who did he steal them from. (lol) Well, I kinda asked him - I really am an idiot, so this was my q: "Who influenced your "h-pt" riffs - Lenny, Earl?" He was so nice - he ignored my ignorance and "slightly" racist "fo paw" (faux pas), and went on to tell me that it was actually this Jimmy ? (boy, I wish my old memory werked better as I forgot the guy's last name pretty much as soon as he told me) when he was in Nashville several years ago. He actually got very excited when he went on to further explain - however, Jimmy learned it from the first guy that played them - Chet Atkins! WOW, he could have knocked me over with a feather that he was somewhat influenced by my musical hero. (Actually, I could even be wrong on the guy's first name from Nashville..)

He continued on to say he had read that Chet first came up with them from some article in a guitar mag that said Chet thought of doing them after hearing a steel guitar player play harmonics... Dunno..... Does anybody know if this is fact? Is this common knowledge and I have been asleep for awhile?

Palmer zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....
Pickin Palmer

Re: Who thought up "harmonic-pure tone" riffs?

Postby Doug Working » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:47 am

Wow! And Chet's permeating, LEGENDARY influence goes on and on!

Doug
Doug Working

Postby awykle » Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:17 pm

Palmer, Chet told me that himself and I think he was quoted in an article once. I always wondered later who the steel player was.
awykle

Postby Pickin Palmer » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:43 pm

I've never paid all that much attention to steel players, Audie. I like their music - sometimes, REALLY like it... I don't think old time country music would be the same without them. --- Do you know any steel player that uses (or, used) harmonics-pure tones?

I'm trying to get ahold of Russell to see who the "Nashville Cat" was that influenced him.... (It was easy, last night - he was just standing there with a glass of wine in his hand. (lol)
Pickin Palmer

Postby Wayne Canning » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:59 pm

My Best Sunday Afternoon Guess, Probably Jimmy Day Guys.

Wayne
Wayne Canning

Postby gmoseley » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:09 pm

Well, I'd be guessing of course but "if" the guy's first name was Jimmy and he was a knocked-out Nashville steel guitar player who excelled at the harmonic rolls,,,,the first name that pops into my mind is Jimmy Crawford. I knew Jimmy well; I used to tell him he was the "Jerry Reed" of the steel. He played with many great stars of yesteryear when "real country music" was in fashion. Loretta and Hank Snow being two of them. He recorded with Chet on the "Yestergroovin' album". Paul and I used to talk about him. He had more pedals on his steel (knee pedals) than anybody I ever knew and he was a genius at using them. Like I said, I'm just making a stab in the dark here but I know he and Chet were friends and I know Crawford played that stuff all the time.

Gayle
gmoseley

Postby Pickin Palmer » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:53 am

I just love it that youz guys have actually "been there" - some even knowing Chet personally.

Gayle, I think the Jimmy that Russell was referring to was a guitar player, not a steel player. He was influenced (possibly taught) by Chet. I don't think the article mentioned who the steel player was. However, you mentioned that those steel players played "harmonics" - but, were they playing "pure tones" along with the harmonics? I would LOVE to see one playing them on YT if they do/did.... (So sad that I have to put that exception in - but, that's the only way out of this game.)

Speaking of which - and, I LOVE to tell this story. Several years ago I was in a guitar store and the owner knew I had this guitar club, so he was letting me try a bunch of his Heritage guitars he had just brought in. I'd pick away at one - then, another - then, another... All the time there was this older rather large African American guy wandering around from aisle to aisle.. He finally came up to me and said, "I thought all you thumb pickers were dead!"
Pickin Palmer

Postby Roger Pratt » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:46 pm

Palmer..........When someone makes that remark to me I tell them "Nawww we're not dead, we just smell that way".LOL
Roger Pratt

Postby Doug Working » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:21 pm

I had an uncle who played steel. He wasn't famous, but he sure made that thing SING. I have a lot of fond memories of being a young boy and just watching and listening to uncle Bill make musical magic with it. It was an EARLY muscal influence on me, and one of the reasons I play guitar today.

I never forget the day that Kenny Roberts the KING OF THE YODELERS came to do a concert, and uncle Bill was invited to accompany him on steel. I got my polaroid taken of me with them, and I treasured that photo for decades to come.

Doug
Doug Working

Postby Norm » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:25 pm

"pure tones" along with the harmonics"

In the Cochran book ( think) he refers to this technique as used in Chinatown and said he got the idea from a steeler probably before the pedal steels were using pedals actively in the melody. Can't recall reading him crediting one but that doesn't mean he didn't.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins