Dizzy Fingers - another perspective

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Dizzy Fingers - another perspective

Postby Pickin Palmer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:32 pm

Tomorrow is our Ohio Fingerstyle Guitar Club's monthly Pickin' Party - and, Harley McCabe says he's coming and going to pull the wraps of Dizzy Fangers he's been practicing for quite awhile. So, in order to provide him some rhythm I got a hold of that amazing Matt Cowe from someplace "just East" of NYC! He's got a really neat vid of him playing it out on YT, so I asked him what chords the toon had. ---- You know Matt is not only one of the better Chet style pickers at CAAS - he's a heck of a helpful sort. He sent me the kords and then I practiced using his YT vid. - Yep, I pretty much have it down (rhythm) for tomorrow - oh, maybe that Gm section where I have to beat on that D7 a number of times (5 or 6) before you start those downward going Dims is a little nervous. But, it's gonna be fun with Harley, tomorrow.

Well, you know YouBoob - if you are out there using something it "pushes" other posts close to that one on you. One of which is a piano player (the tune was written for piano) and this "tappin" guitarist - that just fried my brain. These kids are GOOD... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfVCPnAtN5k

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Re: Dizzy Fingers - another perspective

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:34 pm

Man! That duo was something extra. I sure enjoyed it. Hope y'all have a great time at your Pickin' Party. Wish I lived closer sometimes, I'd enjoy seeing these great players.
Take care.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Pickin Palmer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:11 pm

I wish you could come sometime, too, Ray. But, they aren't "great" players at my PPs.. The are "really, really, great" players... "Really, really, great." lol
Pickin Palmer

Postby DagerRande » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:15 pm

That was really interesting, Palmer! That pianist had great technique. I couldn't hear the guitar continuously enough to hear how well they coordinated with each other. I also consider using a flat pick to play this as being very "inefficient"! I think it's much better to have the fingers well placed so that the job of picking all of those notes is distributed.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Pickin Palmer » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:01 am

Spoken like a true finger style fan, and prolly why it looks like only Chet ever arranged this toon for geetar. - He's "tapping" the melody responses with the piano, Randy. (I wanna learn how to do a little of that.) He flat picks the two bridges... the root minor key and the 4 key. (That 4 key chord progression is a tad neat-strange, anyway...(lol)

Stupid early morning thought: Did you ever wonder how many different keys a bridge can (logically) go to - when somebody is writing a toon? Is there an upper limit? Is there any musical philosophy in choosing which? Has anyone ever done a study of all the keys bridges have gone to? Like I said - dumb questions. But, then - I've got all this extra time on my hands now that I don't watch football, anymore... :)

Oh, wait a minute - I've got to get showered and off to my monthly Pickin' Party.. Wish ya'll could be there.

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby DagerRande » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:49 pm

Palmer, your energy and creativity are always amazing to me! It's encouraging as I continue to age!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Return to Announcement and News