RIP Glen Campbell !

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

RIP Glen Campbell !

Postby DagerRande » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:01 pm

Nothing more to add. Lots of memories from nearly 50 years ago when I first heard of him.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Re: RIP Glen Campbell !

Postby Vidar Lund » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:43 pm

I remember watching this from a TV show recorded at London Royal Albert Hall in 1973. Fine singer and musician, one of the very best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5vfw5f1CZo
Vidar Lund

Postby synchro » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:06 pm

A great player and singer. It's a real shame to lose him, but Alzheimer's is a cruel disease and at least he's not suffering in any way.
synchro

Postby jay » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:42 pm

Glen was an excellent musician and could sing with the best of them. He also was the sole reason an odd looking guitar company was able to become a giant in the industry. I would argue, it was Glen that brought us Jerry.

Another poor farm boy, who worked his ass off, to reach the top of his trade. You don't see that happening anymore. Rest in Peace Glen. We are going to miss you.
jay kantor
jay

Postby rhirvine » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:33 pm

Only recently I watched and listened a 30 something Glen Campbell sing and play an up tempo version of "back home in Indiana" I knew he could play some fast notes but didn't know he could play bebop jazz as he ripped through 3 choruses without slowing down or playing a bad note. I don't think even Jimmy Bryant could have done that. What a talent Glen Campbell was.
rhirvine

Postby LMark » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:19 pm

rhirvine wrote:Only recently I watched and listened a 30 something Glen Campbell sing and play an up tempo version of "back home in Indiana" I knew he could play some fast notes but didn't know he could play bebop jazz as he ripped through 3 choruses without slowing down or playing a bad note. I don't think even Jimmy Bryant could have done that. What a talent Glen Campbell was.

I had to hunt that one down. Indiania is one of my favorite tunes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4PEf7yYCZE
LMark

Postby synchro » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:37 pm

Thanks for posting that, LMark.

OMG!!!!! I knew he was good, but never dreamed that he was that fast. Kinda puts Hank Garland's Jazz Winds From A New Direction in a different perspective.

From what I've,read, Campbell valued his days as a session guitarist above even his years of stardom. I can see why, the guy was an absolute monster player.
synchro

Postby Pickin Palmer » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:09 am

Dang you, Mark... Things were goin' real good around here this morning - 2 1/2 hrs of pickelball out of the way (great exercise) - vitamins taken - big bowl of "healthy" baked grain in a bowl with "no GMO" milk on it - geetar coming out of the case for it's daily abuse - then I read your Reply!! GREAT PICKIN'! But, don't I, then, type "Jerry Reed Glen Campbell" into YT - ARG!!! Now, I'm stuck in front of my computer for the rest of the day!! Especially the jam segments on Glen's show!! They were amazing together....

The only thing better to do this morning would be if you just happened to be around here and we could pick some, again.

P
Pickin Palmer

Postby Gary Smith » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:35 pm

Holy kadootle, it's been a long time since I came back
My Parkinson's has taken the guitar from me , but not the music.
I've had the deep brain stimulation, dBS, and hopefully can return to picking
Soon.
Gary Smith
G i t f id d l e g a r y@ g m a i l . C o m
May the blessings be
Gary
Gary Smith

Postby LMark » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:04 pm

It is good to see you back, Gary. All the best wishes that you can regain use of your fingers on the fretboard. Best, LMark
LMark

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins