Need a Coupla Fred's Delrin "Regular" Picks

Postby LMark » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:31 pm

I have gotten so that I like Fred Kelly's "regular" delrin pick. But--I realized--I only have one. If anyone with "extras" is inclined, I'd be happy to Paypal you for a couple. LMark
LMark

Re: Need a Coupla Fred's Delrin "Regular" Picks

Postby BillB » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:07 pm

I ordered a few Fred Kelly picks from Elderly Instruments several years ago. Looks like they still sell them on their website.

https://www.elderly.com/catalogsearch/r ... fred+kelly

Bill B.
BillB

Postby LMark » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:33 am

I only need a couple.
LMark

Postby Pickin Palmer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:46 am

I've got all kinds of Kelly picks around here, Marcus... Send me a picture of the one you have and I'll see if I have any of them...

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby Pickin Palmer » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:53 am

You know Mark reminded me of my first CAAS convention some 19 years ago - when somebody let me try his Kelly pick (can't remember which one) and I liked it. So, I went into one of the vendors rooms and found Fred and Helen. Found "that" pick and proceeded to tell them I'd take a couple. "Oh, we only sell them by the bag." (And, I guess they still do to this day.) "I don't need a life time supply of them!" And, I didn't buy any. --- Well, in the meantime I've come to adore both of those wonderful people and would buy a carton of picks from them if they wanted. --- I think I'm playing a "slick" right now...

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby LMark » Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:39 pm

Hey Palmer! (and all). I found a supplier; should have posted problem solved. Sorry. I think that I discovered Kelly picks in the very early 1980s at the Fret Mill in Roanoke, Va. Dad and I bought an orange and a yellow one, and maybe a white one. They were funny things, with slots. But we liked them for thumbpicking. They stayed on your thumb much better than the old Ernie Ball ones. I did not do much "flatpicking" with the thumbpick at the time. Dad often played rhythm for me with a flatpick. These picks had no name on them, of course. I used those original picks constantly. Many years later I decided to purchase a few spares. But what were they, and who made--much less sold--them? Most guitar stores near me in Philly at the time had three million flatpicks and maybe (just maybe) a small selection of thick ugly plastic finger and thumbpicks--or metal(!). But those original Kelly picks had, I discovered, a patent number on them. Each one. It was apparently part of the mold. This was about the time that the internet became a "thing." So I found the patent office and using that number located Fred Kelly! That's how much I value his product/invention. Thanks Fred! Like Palmer said (sort of): "I don't need 24 indestructible thumb picks." But I still love Fred's inventions! LMark
LMark

Return to FOR SALE or TRADE