Chet's Office

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet's Office

Postby baggetta » Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:37 pm

Just got back from a trip to Tennessee and was able to visit the Country Music Hall of Fame and took a trip through Studio B. This was fantastic. If you get down there by all mean take this tour. The whole thing was a bit expensive, but worth every penny. I have a question though. After they take you through the main foyer, they pass by a little room on the left. The guide said it was Chet's Office. Well, it may have been, but it looked no bigger than a broom closet and there was a recording panel in there. I seem to recall a bigger office Chet had where he entertained Lenny Bruce, John Knowles, and others trying out new songs. Does anyone have a picture of the office they could post here? I seem to recall seeing one years ago, but can't find it now. In any even the whole trip was a great experience.
Al B
baggetta

Re: Chet's Office

Postby DagerRande » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:34 pm

For all the time I new Chet (because of Tommy Jones) he was in a building that seemed residential and had a beautiful chandelier hanging from the ceiling when you walked in and climbed the stairs to his office. Archie Campbell's wife Caroline was his secretary. I called many times from my home in Michigan and she was always the friendly voice who answered. The Studio B setting was before all of this and was more of a historical thing for me.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:01 am

Al, I found these videos of Chet and Cleus Neeb playing in his office. I have no idea if this is in his downtown office or an office at his home workshop. You only get glimpses of the room, though. It's still nice to see videos of Chet playing even if the office is not the correct one.
Take care,
Ray
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3SA2j68VSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouu9r9a0pFk
Ray Bohlken

Postby rkk2786 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:34 pm

Rande,

I don't mean to correct you, Carolyn was not Archie's wife, they weren't even related, they just happened to have the same last name. Soon after Carolyn left Chet she married a man that worked in the Metro court system, and later on passed away.

Best regards,
Micah
rkk2786

Postby baggetta » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:42 pm

Thanks for the replies. I'm sure this is not the office in Studio B. It was much to small.
baggetta

Postby DagerRande » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:39 pm

I'm sorry, Micah. All these years I thought she was his wife. I'm not sure why or who told me? Thanks for correcting me! See you at CAAS!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby smokymtguitar09 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:35 pm

In 1966 I bought a copy of the Nov. 1966 Radio-Electronics magazine that featured Chet on the cover and an inside story. Forest H. Belt did the interview at what he describes "his spacious and comfortable office in the new RCA Victor Recording Studios building a few blocks from busy downtown Nashville". The accompanying photo shows the office as he describe it.
Attachments
Chet Atkins Radio-Electronics RCA office interview 40%.jpg
Chet Atkins Radio-Electronics cover photo 40%.jpg
Chet Atkins office Radio-Electronics 1966
Ronnie Evans
smokymtguitar09

Postby Ronnie Evans75 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:01 am

You can read the entire pdf article featured at the Radio History website:

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Arc ... 966-11.pdf
Ronnie Evans75

Postby Harold Payne » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:48 pm

Thanks for posting this interview with Chet. It is apparent that he had an extensive knowledge of electronics. I knew that he held a Radio Amateur license which required some electronic skills as well as sending and receiving Morse Code. These skills added immeasurably to his ability to achieve the sound(s) he wanted from his guitar. The sound that Chet fans love today. It was like going down memory lane scanning through the entire magazine and seeing the electronic advertisements from the 60's era. I was active in Amateur Radio for a number of years (WD4HYF) and marvel at how electronic technology has advanced. I was surprised at the Heathkit advertisement for a guitar amplifier and guitar kit. I knew they made kits for Ham radio, test equipment etc. The guitar shown in their advertisement appears to be just like a Sears Silvertone my folks gave me for my birthday yeas ago except mine had 3 pickups. This guitar had a great sound and the bolt on neck and the tremolo made it popular. Again thanks for the posting about Chet and I am looking forward to my 23nd consecutive CAAS. Harold Payne UGP (Uncertified Guitar Player)

PS: I'll be bringing to CAAS with me Arthur Itis, many of you older guys know him.
Harold Payne

Postby Ronnie Evans75 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:49 am

Harold,
Glad you enjoyed it. I posted it when the discussion of the size of Chet's RCA office came up. I think the article pretty much puts that to rest.
Yes, those old ads in the magazine for television repair seems strange in this day of disposable TVs. I actually took that CIE Electronics correspondence course and finally graduated. I had received some military electronics training which helped. It all led to me getting my FCC 1st class license and jobs in radio & TV engineering. Even that became obsolete once digital and HDTV replaced much of it.....only the RF transmission technology has remained the same...can't change the natural physics. Time changes things as your friend Arthur Itis will testify.
Ronnie Evans75

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins