Prayers for my good buddy Kenny Winkler please.

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Prayers for my good buddy Kenny Winkler please.

Postby Roger Pratt » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:45 pm

I just learned that Kenny is dying and needs any and all prayers that we can send up. As I understand it Hospice has been called in to manage his pain and it may not be much longer. Kenny is a wonderful guy and a great friend to many of us here on the board so when you are talking with God please tell him about Kenny. This is the 3rd friend of mine this year and I'm running out of friends but that's how life is. I'm grateful for the time I got to enjoy each one of them.
Roger Pratt

Re: Prayers for my good buddy Kenny Winkler please.

Postby RonBloor » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:24 pm

Kenny is lucky to have you as a friend Roger. The words you put on your Face Book today are especially poignant and meaningful. Thank you for posting this request for Kenny.
"God saw you getting tired - a cure was not to be. So he put his arms around you & whispered come with me."
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Richard Hudson » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:29 am

Kenny has been a very good friend from the very beginning. I remember how proud he was when he was one of the first to buy the new Nashville Classic. I called Kenny in his hospital room a few weeks back and we visited for quite some time. He was very honest about his condition, but yet he wasn't on a pity party. My thoughts and prayers are certainly with him.

Roger, I also noticed what you wrote on your facebook page. It couldn't be any better at a time like this.
Richard Hudson

Postby gmoseley » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:50 am

Kenny is a great guy and long-time personal friend. We have had a lot of wonderful times together over the past few years. Going out to eat the buffet lunch at Ryan's, followed by an afternoon of pickin' and sharing old "band stories" - - it doesn't get much better than that! Kenny really came a long way in a few short years with his fingerstyle music. He was a converted straight-pick player but had always loved Chet and Jerry,,,,then he discoved the CAAS and he was on fire after that. He is a super fellow and a heck of a nice guy, he and I bonded a friendship right off the bat. I love ole Kenny and I will be praying for him in the days ahead.
Gayle Moseley
gmoseley

Postby BillB » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:57 am

I'm so sorry to hear this news. I remember when Kenny came down to one of our Texas Fingerstyle Guitar Assoc. meetings a few years ago. He was so down to earth, and it only took a few minutes for it to seem like Kenny was a lifelong friend. I also remember going to my first CAAS in 2006 and hanging out with Kenny and Roger. They were really cutting up when we were taking our group picture, and they had me laughing pretty hard. Kenny is a great guy, and I'll be praying for him, and for you too, Roger.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Gary Smith » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:17 pm

May the Blessings be,

gary
Gary Smith

Postby Pickin Palmer » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:02 am

Kenny was a heck of a finger picker, actually. He was one of those guys that could practice right through the tough parts - and, play them. I was always astonished how well he picked things up. He didn't pick up the finger pickin' "sickness" until late in life - but, is a true fan of Chets. Take a pick with you, Kenny... I'm sure all the good ones are up there having a Pickin' Party right now waiting for you to join them. My prayers are for you to have peace....

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby Wayne Canning » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:36 pm

Thoughs and Prayers for Kenny. Kenny was always a treat to visit with at the convention in years past. He has been fighting this illness for sometime as most know. Thanks for the heads up Roger.

Thanks, Take Care, Wayne
Wayne Canning

Postby Ken Goddard » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:10 am

Hello Fellow Chetboarders:
I got an e-mail from Ron Thompson's wife and the news was not good. Please pray for Ron as well as Kenny Winkler.

Thank you
Ken Goddard

I’m sending this to you from Ron. He has been in Palliative Care at the Assiniboine Centre pretty much since they returned from their 4 month European Holiday.

The last couple of weeks he has been too weak to even get out of bed. I asked if we could send some messages out to friends and he thought that would be great.

He also wanted me to give you his cell phone number. He keeps it in his hand all the time and it’s his lifeline to everyone. He would love a call. 204-761-5296

Here is his message.

Dear Ken & Kenny,

Really missed you guys at CAAS this past year. Heather and I went on a four month junket to Europe. Needless to say it was a wonderful trip.

Looks as though that will be the last trip to Nashville as I have been diagnosed with terminal cancer. It came on rather suddenly. The cancer is in my liver and lungs…bit of a bummer, but sometimes life throws things at you. I’m not having treatments. Not in pain, just very weak. No pain is good.

Sure going to miss you guys. (very teary) Love you guys.

Have the guys pick one for me.
At least I’ll be one step ahead of you and pick one with Chet.
Take care guys.
Keep on picking
and

“Easy does it”

Ron
Ken Goddard

Postby RonBloor » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:53 pm

That's really bad news Ken.. Ron has always been so upbeat and he seems to be keeping that attitude even yet. We will keep both Ron and Kenny in our prayers. Thanks for letting us know.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Next

Return to Announcement and News