Hello Bluebird Cover

Watch and share videos from youtube

Hello Bluebird Cover

Postby MrAstro » Fri May 12, 2017 9:55 pm

Here's my latest.

Had a nice time talking to LMark about this one - thanks for the advice Mark!

Cheers

Andrew

MrAstro

Re: Hello Bluebird Cover

Postby Roger Pratt » Fri May 12, 2017 11:18 pm

That is a great job Andrew!! I loved it!
Roger Pratt

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sat May 13, 2017 3:44 pm

Andrew, I enjoyed this video. Thanks for sharing it.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby MrAstro » Sat May 13, 2017 6:19 pm

Thanks for listening Roger and Ray!
MrAstro

Postby Jim Jarrell » Sun May 14, 2017 10:53 am

Andrew, *great* playing. Ironically, I started trying to learn "Hello Bluebird" for the first time about a week ago. The only tab I have for it is a Tabledit tab by Mike Joyce from 2005. Pretty sure I got it from Jack Baker's website way back when. But I notice you're playing several licks in different positions than noted in his tab which is also a bit short in the second section.

Do you have a tab for the tune or know if it's in a book or online? I have just about every tab and tab book ever done of Chet's stuff (Pat Kirtley, John McClellan, Craig Dobbins, John Knowles, Tommy Flint, etc) and the only one I know of "Hello Bluebird" is Mike Joyce's tab.

Again, great playing...you nailed it.

Jim Jarrell
DeLand, FL
http://www.tabpigs.org
Jim Jarrell

Postby LMark » Sun May 14, 2017 9:33 pm

I have certainly enjoyed "meeting" yet another member of the international Chet "family." Hello Bluebird might be my all time favorite Chet Atkins arrangement. Bravo, Andrew! LMark
LMark

Postby Bob key » Mon May 15, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi Andrew, I wanna tell you the was wonderful I think that was my all timme favorite Chet tune

Thanks for a great post
Bob
Bob key

Postby MrAstro » Mon May 15, 2017 10:48 pm

Thanks Jim, Mark and Bob - just so glad that you guys liked it. It wasn't perfect unfortunately but I did my best to get it pretty much right even if the execution left a little to be desired I suppose.

Jim I don't have a tab but I'm happy to run through it all very slowly for you on Skype if that helps. Ideally you'll need a webcam and microphone - laptops are probably the easiest way. There are two other videos on youtube of people playing it. To a certain extent that helped with certain parts but there were parts of those videos that I didn't quite think were right. There are probably parts of mine that aren't right too - it's real hard to work out everything with absolute certainty.

I would say that a lot of the triads and triad banjo rolls can be played on stings 4,5 and 6 or 3,4 and 5 with slightly different fingering of course. I mostly chose to play it on 4,5 and 6 because I just felt it rang out better - subjective I know... Whether that's where Chet played it - it's hard for me to say.

What I did do though is use a program called transcribe that slowed it right down to 25% without degrading the audio quality too much. I also imported the tune into logic pro and used it as as template so that my backing track lined up with the original. I have an earlier recording of my track directly overlaid over Chet's original. I redid my playing for the final track though because I was playing this a few months ago and it has more mistakes but you might think it's interesting and cool I guess.

So this is an earlier version of my track overlaid on Chet's original.

https://soundcloud.com/antipodean-1/hel ... the-top-of
MrAstro

Postby DagerRande » Tue May 16, 2017 10:12 am

Andrew, I think you just demonstrated your bravery in overlaying your recording over Chet's! Very nice! I also enjoy reading about your processes for putting these together!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Jim Jarrell » Tue May 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Andrew,

<"Jim I don't have a tab but I'm happy to run through it all very slowly for you on Skype if that helps."

Thanks for the kind offer but I'm not up Skype. Better idea....come to CAAS this year and I'm sure
Mark or Palmer can set you up for a workshop so you can teach it to all the "usual suspects" that would love
to learn it! But for sure you can do a workshop after hours in the Tab Pig hospitality suite, The Pig Sty (rm 1076) at CAAS (with beer involved)

And again, only tab I have for it is one done by Michael Joyce about 12 years ago. And a google search
shows it only at Jack Baker's website but all his Chet tabs are no longer available to open or download. I just scanned a copy of my original Tabledit tab I printed out years ago and have tab in .pdf form. Send me your email address and I'll shoot you a copy (same for any other's here who want a copy). I'm at JRJarrell@aol.com

<"There are probably parts of mine that aren't right too - it's real hard to work out everything with absolute certainty. "I would say that a lot of the triads and triad banjo rolls can be played on stings 4,5 and 6 or 3,4 and 5 with slightly "different fingering of course."

Since my first input I spent some time looking at your youtube video. I also made an mp3 copy of it and also
use a slow down device (can't imagine how we learned things back before they were available!). In short, I think
you're right on target. When/if you get the tab I'd like to discuss certain measures with you that the tab just doesn't have right but it sure looks like you do.

<What I did do though is use a program called transcribe that slowed it right down to 25% without degrading the <audio quality too much.

Have used Transcribe but prefer to work offline with a small digital box, a AKAI "Riff-O-Matic" U-40. Slow down, freeze note, pitch change options, et al. Priceless and now over 17 years old its better than sliced bread. Easy, peeze to use and all the tabs I did for Leo Kottke's music at http://www.tabpigs.org were done using it.

Jim Jarrell
DeLand, FL
JRJarrell@aol.com
http://www.tabpigs.org
Jim Jarrell

Next

Return to Video Files