Versions and changes to the Chet Atkins CE nylon string guit

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Versions and changes to the Chet Atkins CE nylon string

Postby Ihate100bees » Sat May 06, 2017 10:14 pm

Larry Marchino wrote:Also, my '89 still has the classical style peg head and only a volume and a tone control instead of the volume bass and treble the later ones have. Larry

Thanks Larry for this interesting fact about your guitar. Didn't know they msde dome without the bass control.
Ihate100bees

Postby Spadaro Paolo » Sun May 07, 2017 3:00 pm

This is my beauty, 1988 showcase edition only 200 specimens....

My YouTube link....

https://youtu.be/MYIYs4hLThQ

https://youtu.be/nsL86xLo-_s

Ciao, PAOLO!!!!
Attachments
IMG_0604.JPG
Spadaro Paolo

Postby Ihate100bees » Sun May 07, 2017 3:29 pm

Very nice guitar!

I would like to put this question out there for additional feedback... I gather that most owners of the CE, are flat picking or playing in a classical style using the fingers (seeing that it uses nylon strings),... have you ever compared the CE to the CEC model that has the 1/4" more width to it? Now that you have owned to narrower neck width, would you prefer the wider CEC?
Thanks.
Ihate100bees

Postby bill raymond » Sun May 07, 2017 6:07 pm

I looked through some schematics I've saved and find two for the CE: The first is dated in 1981, the second 1995. The earlier schematic had only 1 tone control, the later had 2. The earlier used a single IC, the later used several transistors and is a more complex circuit.
bill raymond

Postby Ihate100bees » Sun May 07, 2017 6:24 pm

bill raymond wrote:I looked through some schematics I've saved and find two for the CE: The first is dated in 1981, the second 1995. The earlier schematic had only 1 tone control, the later had 2. The earlier used a single IC, the later used several transistors and is a more complex circuit.

That's really great information. Thank you for supplying that information. It also kind of dates when they made the changes from 1, to 2 tone controls. As you said the first one had a single resistor and the second version had several and much more complicated. Question is... what did it do to the sound and is there a preference between the earlier versions and the later ones.
Ihate100bees

Postby Larry Marchino » Mon May 08, 2017 3:05 pm

Interesting! That helps to answer my question as to when they made the changes in the tone control. Thanks!

Just FYI: In one of the above posts there are two links one showing the specs for the CEC and CE which shows the neck width of the CE to be 1.8125" and the other is an ad for a guitar that lists the neck width of the CE at 1.75". Noting this difference I measured my CE. My CE measures very slightly less than 1 7/8" (actually I would call it 1 7/8 by routine measuring with a tape measure) so I would say the 1.8125" is the correct width for the CE. Thank you for those two links too, by the way, I have saved the info from both of them.
Larry Marchino

Postby Larry Marchino » Mon May 08, 2017 3:24 pm

To answer this question:
"have you ever compared the CE to the CEC model that has the 1/4" more width to it? Now that you have owned to narrower neck width, would you prefer the wider CEC?"

I have a Gibson CE and I also have an Alvarez nylon string with a full 2 inch neck. There is only 1/8" difference in the neck width, but it is certainly noticeable. I like both, but the CE allows me the ability to reach over with my thumb more easily while still providing enough room between the strings for noting cleanly. It is just a little more comfortable to play the CE. I still reach over with my thumb once in a while with the 2 inch neck as I have fairly big hands, but to answer your question, I would say if you aren't going to want to reach over with your thumb the 2" neck is probably what you want. If you use your left thumb a lot like Travis did you will be happier with a narrower neck. So I guess it depends on how and what you play.
Larry Marchino

Postby Ihate100bees » Tue May 09, 2017 3:13 am

Thanks Larry. Sounds like I'd be okay with the narrower neck, especially that you mentioned that you had enough room to play between the strings with your right hand. That's really what I wanted to know. Also, yes, I don't think the difference between 1/8 of an inch would make that big of a difference anyways. Thanks again Larry! :D
Ihate100bees

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment