Richard Smith Concert

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Richard Smith Concert

Postby LMark » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:26 pm

Richard Smith gave a marvelous concert--nearly three hours--at the Sun Dog Farm in Maple Plain, MN last evening. I counted about 40 in attendance in this intimate setting. I had the best seat in the house, so far as guitarists view seating. A tall chair to Richard's right, about three rows back (which was the last row in this setting!) Perfect view (and sound)! Richard even played a request or two, including mine.
Thanks Richard!
LMark
P.S. Richard hinted that there might be some kind of "jam" over at Dulonos, 607 West Lake St, Minneapolis, MN, tonite.
LMark

Re: Richard Smith Concert

Postby DagerRande » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:59 pm

I know what his concerts are like. You were fortunate to enjoy 3 hours!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Re: Richard Smith Concert

Postby Pickin Palmer » Tue May 02, 2017 2:23 pm

I'm so glad for you, Mark, that you got to see so much of Richard - waaay up there in the North. It's a thing of beauty to watch him at his craft, isn't it.

(You know me - I ALWAYS have a come back story...)

The best Richard Smith concert ever for me (and, he has been up to Columbus, OH to play for us at least 30 times) is one time back when we combined having an hour long "star" concert with a Pickin' Party "circle" jam after the concert. (You've been to those.) Well, this was one of the few times he didn't come with Julie, or anybody else - and, I guess he had no pressing issues to get back home for - sooo, after he performed, sold his CDs, n signed autographs - he simply came over and sat down in the "circle" - with a steel stringed electric. (He doesn't play those very often, anymore, and he's brilliant playing one.)

No matter who started a tune - he would add a really special lead run or two. This went on and on at least once around the 15 picker deep "circle" and I was simply in 7th heaven - enjoying myself to the max. Well, an hour into the jam I noticed my good buddy, the late JD Norman, started unplugging his gear and packing up - with at least 3 hours left in the Party. I leaned over and queried, "Where in the 'daylights' (cleaned that one up for ya, Pastor Mark) are you going?" "Well, I think it's time to go to the house," he replied.

I knew that JD liked to pick and had reason to think rather highly of his skills (which were plentiful) and that his pride was being tugged on, a bit. So, I continued the interrogation, "Let me git this straight, Picker - we have one the top 3 finger style guitarists IN THE WORLD sitting in our circle - AND, YOU WANT TO GO HOME?????" It musta worked because he sheepishly started putting his gear back together - and, soon had the time of his life - when it was his turn to "lead one" and Richard chimed in with some amazing help. I miss that cantankerous old picker!!!! We had some good times together - that being one of them...

Again, LMark, I'm so happy that being so far from Nashville that you got to see the "best danged picker in the world" - up close and personal.

Palmer

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Return to Announcement and News