Control knobs for Super Chet

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Control knobs for Super Chet

Postby BirdofParadise » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:15 pm

Any interest in or source for those pesky knobs that decay and break? I haven't been able to locate a replacement alternative. Failing a positive response here I will be making them using a 3-d printer. Any interest in a set?

Let me know

Mike
BirdofParadise

Re: Control knobs for Super Chet

Postby Pickin Palmer » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:24 pm

Hey, Mike, sorry about the delay in ans your post. I have a SC, but the "pots" are working quite well. It's my buddy, Terry Efaw, that won the first prototype SC made by Clyde Edwards in the Baldwin factory in Cinci (I believe) in a Chet Atkins pickin' contest many years ago. He's always had problems with his.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "make them with a 3D printer" - WOW, that sounds exotic. How much do you think a set would cost? I know he would I'd take a set just to have on hand...

Palmer Moore
Pickin Palmer

Postby gmoseley » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:39 am

Years ago I bought a '72 SC from George Gruhn, it was hardly played and looked brand new, it was 1 7/8" at the nut.. Paul Yandell was with me when I bought it. He and George Gruhn both remarked how scarce those things were with a
1 7/8" nut spacing. I played it for years but Paul was always afraid I would have trouble if it ever developed a problem with the pots OR if I ever broke one of those plastic screws in the tone/volumn knobs. For years we looked for another 'complete' pickguard with everything in tact but never found one,,Gruhn said, "you'll never find one" - he was right.
Thank goodness I never needed one to replace the original but I finally sold the guitar before the pots got bad. They usually do after so many years. I hated to do it but Paul thought it best to sell it and move on, so I did.

Many guys at CAAS played that guitar over the years and they all loved it. It played like a dream and for us "wide neck lovers" it was great with that 1 7/8" nut. George Gruhn said those guitars with that wide nut were "scarce as hen's teeth". I wish you luck in your quest, I hope you can get it fixed. I don't know anybody who owns one that doesn't love that guitar.

Gayle Moseley
gmoseley

Postby BirdofParadise » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:12 pm

Pickin Palmer wrote:Hey, Mike, sorry about the delay in ans your post. I have a SC, but the "pots" are working quite well. It's my buddy, Terry Efaw, that won the first prototype SC made by Clyde Edwards in the Baldwin factory in Cinci (I believe) in a Chet Atkins pickin' contest many years ago. He's always had problems with his.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "make them with a 3D printer" - WOW, that sounds exotic. How much do you think a set would cost? I know he would I'd take a set just to have on hand...

Palmer Moore

Palmer:

I went to a workshop last week and was oriented to the process, so know just enough to be dangerous. However, our youngest son just graduated in June with a degree in mechanical engineering so has worked with 3d printers previously. Basically a digital "plan" is put into a computer that drives the printing process. The printer melts plastic or some other material as it is laid down (printed) in layers according to the plan. The lab manager tells me the knob can be scanned to make the digitized file. At this point I have no idea as to the cost but intend to make at least one set. I'm guessing that the cost would go down as more were made. I haven't had time to get back to the lab having been traveling for business.

More later.

Mike
BirdofParadise

Postby albertgen » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:09 pm

I had one for a long time and I loved it, it was a beautiful guitar. I never played it much so I sold it. I still miss it though. Al
albertgen

Postby BirdofParadise » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:25 pm

albertgen wrote:I had one for a long time and I loved it, it was a beautiful guitar. I never played it much so I sold it. I still miss it though. Al

Mine will be for sale
BirdofParadise

Postby BirdofParadise » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:38 pm

Found knobs on eBay
BirdofParadise

Return to Guitars and Equipment