Chet with George Benson on Merv Griffin Show

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet with George Benson on Merv Griffin Show

Postby rhirvine » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:33 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoAIYnmIaRI

I remember the first time I saw Chet play with George Benson and also Earl Klugh. They started with Cherokee and later on Chet played a duet with Benson. I believe it was "Bluesette". It seemed like Benson was a little contemptuous of CHet when Chet played some nice harmony behind Benson's solo part because he took off with some fast jazz lines. But in the future maybe even at that time Chet had won him over as I think he was so genuine, he could win anyone over. My link is to a duet they played. I loved the music that Chet and George Benson made together since I was a fan of both.
rhirvine

Re: Chet with George Benson on Merv Griffin Show

Postby the-ocean87 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:59 am

Yes, great players. I read in the Paul Yandell book that Chet and Benson recorded more than 10 tracks for an album together, but their record companies didn't get it together. Only 3 of these tracks were released. Paul wrote the condition of the record tape was bad so a future release is unlikely :/
Would love to see the whole soundstage concert on youtube some time.
the-ocean87

Re: Chet with George Benson on Merv Griffin Show

Postby rhirvine » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:37 pm

I had forgotten that it was a Soundstage show. THanks for mentioning that. Too bad about most of the songs they did together. What an awful loss.
rhirvine

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins