Introduction and New G6120-55

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Introduction and New G6120-55

Postby gg3 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:46 am

Hello everyone! I come to this forum all the time and thought I would finally post something. I have been a huge fan of Chet ever since I first heard my grandpa's copy of Chet's In Three Dimensions album. After realizing that what he was doing isn't impossible (albeit very difficult in many instances) I switched over to almost only playing Chet style.

I recently purchased the new version of the 55 reissue 6120. To my ears, I believe Chet had to have been playing a Dearmond equipped 6120 on the Three Dimension album. In any case, it is a great guitar and compliments my 6122-59 very nicely. I am currently playing through a 59 Bassman reissue, but am not exactly happy with it. May look at some other amps in a few months, ideally something smaller that gets a nice warm clean sound.
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpg
gg3

Re: Introduction and New G6120-55

Postby Norm » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:18 pm

That album was released in 1954 so it predates the Ray Butts pickups which came about in 56-7 so you are probably correct

Near as I can tell from the book notes 'Finger-Style Guitar' was the first use of the prototype filter tron pickups and that was released in '57
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Re: Introduction and New G6120-55

Postby gg3 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:01 am

Thanks for the reply Norm! By the way, I love your book on Paul Yandell. I was finally able to get to reading it this Thanksgiving vacation and I couldn't put it down.
gg3

Return to Guitars and Equipment