nylon strings

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

nylon strings

Postby Bob key » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:14 pm

I just got a Taylor ns34ce nylon string guitar. it needs a new set of strings,looking up strings theres so many differant brands and styles ,normal tension,hard tension etc. the strings on this guitar has red strings on the treble side,my question to all you great nylon string players what do you use and what would you recommend

thanks Bob
Bob key

Re: nylon strings

Postby Norm » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:57 pm

For nylon strings Chet and I both used D’Addario Pro-Art, although both
of us at times have used LaBella 500p Professional concert & recording strings.

__Paul Yandell (from the book “Paul Yandell Second To The Best”
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby yellowasylum » Sat Sep 24, 2016 8:56 pm

Bob,
The D'Addarios are great as Norm said. The Extra hard tension a good choice , they are a bit more brilliant and have a better feel than the normal tension which seem loose to me. I love the Labella Flamenco reds it is said that Jerry used these early on. Thanks Vic
P.S. A howdy to Norm, you may not remember but I am the guy that had his amp too close to his monitor and stretched the screen to one side! You said it had a magnetic personality? I still chuckle about that.
yellowasylum

Postby Bob key » Sun Sep 25, 2016 12:16 pm

Thanks Norm and Vic for that informatiom,I wonder what Richard Smith and John Knowels use. you know putting those tie on strings is not like changing ball end strings so I wanna be right the first time if thats possible.

thanks again Bob
Bob key

Postby Norm » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:15 pm

always good to check youtube for a couple of examples of how to tie those things. there's more than one way to do it

find one that looks like you can manage and go likewise

You might be able to PM Richard and John if you look them up here or on facebook
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby bil knoblach » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:42 pm

I prefer Augustine Reds Have a good sound and easy to string up.............bill....
bil knoblach

Postby BillB » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:55 am

Here's what John Knowles told me a while back:

"Bill, I've been using the strings Kirk Sand puts on his guitars. They are D'Addario Extra-Hard Tension with composite basses. The trebles are clear nylon. Kirk substitutes a Savarez Alliance (Blue) for the third. I've been thinking about trying the hard-tension composite basses. The Composites sound great but they are pretty stiff. Always experimenting…"

I had a conversation with Kirk, and he confirmed the same combination. I've tried this setup and like it a lot. There's a couple of online string companies that sell the seperate Savarez Alliance blue single strings.

Richard told me once what he uses, but I don't remember the name of the strings. I had never heard of them before. I think they may have been flame resistant. ;) But seriously, they were not a brand that I've ever heard of. If I remember, I'll post the name.

Hope that helps!

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Mike Detlefsen » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:04 pm

I use D'Addario EJ45's on my nylon string guitars (which are all I play anymore). They are pretty neutral-sounding and are relatively inexpensive and can be purchased just about anywhere.

Mike
Mike Detlefsen

Return to Guitars and Equipment