Paul Yandell, Second to the Best … a Sideman’s Chronicle

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

Re: Paul Yandell, Second to the Best … a Sideman’s Chronicle

Postby DickThomas » Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:18 pm

Norm, I, too, bought my copy at CAAS--it somehow felt especially fitting to get it there. Congratulations on a well-written, carefully researched, and very informative tribute to Paul. Although I met Paul and talked to him a few times at CAAS, I cannot claim that I knew him well. Even so, I learned a lot from him in those brief encounters. Your book made him come alive again for me. Thank you for a book that is clearly a labor of love.

Dick Thomas
DickThomas

Postby Joe Diamond » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:54 pm

Just got done reading the book about Paul. I doubt if anyone could have done a better job than Norm did. I think he over-extended himself to put together the only book I've read in the last 10 years. Thanks Norm.
Joe Diamond

Postby Norm » Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:11 pm

Thanks, Joe, and thanks to all of you who have bought and read the book.

Let me please ask again that if you liked the book, please post a review (it's as easy as writing a comment for this site) on Amazon.

Don't know what to write? Just briefly say what you liked about it and why you think others should read or recommend it.

I know some of you said you would write a note but I also know it's easy to forget to do this.

Bless you all...
n
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Norm » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:29 pm

here's a nice note...

To: norm_van_____
Sent: Tuesday, September 6, 2016 5:00 AM
Subject: From Steve Wariner

Hi Norm,

Just wanted to drop you a note and let you know I really enjoyed Paul's book. Thanks so much for asking me to be part of this project. As you know Paul was very special to me and I'm always looking for ways to make sure people know what a great talent he was. Something I have always known!

Steve
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

That should do it.
Norm

Postby albdamned » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:09 pm

I devoured Norm's book over the weekend. What an excellent read. It was like a visit with an old friend. Thanks to Norm for the persistence and excellent work. This book is a treasure!
albdamned

Postby John C. » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:31 pm

Just wanted to congratulate Norm on the positive review of "Second to the Best" in the February issue of Guitar Player magazine. Way to go, Norm!!

John C.
John C.

Postby Larry Marchino » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:23 am

I have been savoring my copy, reading it a little at a time and just now finished it. I wish it could go on, but as we so sadly know everything eventually comes to an end. I really enjoyed it. Thanks again Norm for pulling this all together and for persisting to get it published. A great book. My copy now sits on the shelf right where it should--beside my copies of "Country Gentleman" and "Chet Atkins by Red O'Donnell". Thanks again!
Larry Marchino

Postby Norm » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:35 am

Thanks, folks...

Having people like Steve contribute during the formation of the book was, of course, a tremendous boost. Brother Forrest Yandell's insights were priceless as well as Marie's and others who contributed.

I would be honored if those who like the book would post a review on the Amazon site. Doesn't have to be elaborate. Some of these posts in this thread would be perfect.

As l wrote the thing I hoped all like-interested guitarists and country historians could be made aware of it and word of mouth and posted reviews are the way to get this done.

Finally, I can't thank each of you individually in a thread like this. That would be a redundancy. I'm humbled that it was as well received as it was

It could have easily gone the other way.

(written on Thanksgiving day, 20106...a true thanksgiving day)

That should do it.
Norm

Previous

Return to Announcement and News