Which Gretschs have the wide neck like the NC?

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Which Gretschs have the wide neck like the NC?

Postby whiskers » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:47 pm

I have a '59 Double Annie and a '06 G5120. Both are great guitars, but I really would like to have a wider neck. I have played a couple of "Nashville Classics" and I really like the wider neck. My question is, which other Gretsches have the wider neck like the NC? Are there any hard and fast rules about which model has the wider neck? Do all the NCs have the wider neck? Do I really have to pay another thousand for a wider neck? I'm not really familiar with the differences between a 6120 and a 6122 for example. I guess I just haven't paid attention over the years.

Tom Robinson
whiskers

Re: Which Gretschs have the wide neck like the NC?

Postby Mike Detlefsen » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:45 pm

Only two models have the wider neck as far as I know...... the 6122-1959 and the 6120CGP.

Mike
Mike Detlefsen

Postby whiskers » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:48 pm

Thanks Mike, the only time I get to see a selection of Gretsch's is at CAAS. I have yet to find a NC at a place where I could actually "hear" the guitar.

Tom Robinson
whiskers

Postby Dan Smith » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:48 pm

Tom,

Both the 6122-1959 Nashville Classic / Country Gentleman and the 6120 CGP have the wider neck but the neck profiles are slightly different. Also, the 6120 CGP has a shorter scale. I have both, but I prefer to play the 6120 CGP. I think it is the best steel string electric I have ever played.

Thanks,
Dan
Dan Smith

Postby cgprnd » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:11 pm

Though I don't own one, my favorite is the 6122-1959. I played one at Sweetwater Sound in Ft. Wayne, Indiana and the wider neck and the longer (or full) scale feel the best to me, not to mention the sound.

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Postby yellowasylum » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:23 am

Whiskers, I believe the Gretsch Super Chet also came with a wider neck? 1 3/4 inch at the nut, you won't find one of these for the price of the new ones. I have a new 59-6122 Country Gentleman and a fine guitar! The wder neck really frees up my fat old fingers. Vic Bateman
yellowasylum

Postby Billy Anderson » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:30 pm

I have a '72 Super Chet with the wide neck. Although I have small fingers (no jokes, please), I find it relatiavely easy to get around on, but I've yet to make it sound close to a Country Gentleman. KOPAP. Billy
Billy Anderson

Postby Greg Butler » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:30 pm

Earlier this year I purchased a 6120DC which I really like, never having owned a double-cutaway guitar before. But I do wish that it had the wider neck like the NC. Having short, stubby fingers, the extra width would be a bit easier for me to play.
Greg Butler

Postby J J Harmon » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:52 pm

This may be the topic for a new discussion but my buddy, Don, bought a new Gretsch at CAAS and I pointed out that it was a short scale and 1 5/8 nut. He played it and it has great pups. He has been playing acoustic guitars with the narrow nut so instead of discouraging him I told him if it fits buy it. He has been picking it 3 or 4 times a week at Jams and whatever. He bought a Roland Street Cube so he could go power cord free. Another friend has an old Gretsch with a narrow nut and he talks of getting a Gibson CG and I tell him it won't play the same. I played a narrow neck Peavey acoustic at Church last night and it was unconfortable so I guess I'm just into the wide nut.

After this weekend and I have some material from the Carolina Guitar Show I may start a topic on nut width.
J J Harmon

Return to Guitars and Equipment