One more Octabass tune

Watch and share videos from youtube

One more Octabass tune

Postby Douglas » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:32 am

I had this ready to go last Saturday, but unfortunately a beverage/laptop incident curtailed activities until it dried itself out! Anyways, this is my take on Drive-In. Inspired by Chet Atkins, but certainly not a note-for-note rendition, but kind of how I learned it off the vinyl LP. I do confess that I stole the fingering of the opening bar off of Chet when he did it at concert at the QE Theatre / Dumaurier POPs series back in the 70's. He used his classical for that one.

I decided to take the Drive-In title (as in restaurant) to heart and enlisted the help of some local mascots here in North America. :D :D They may not be big, but they're small.

Doug

Douglas

Re: One more Octabass tune

Postby Ray Bohlken » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:45 am

Doug, that was excellent! I really enjoyed your playing and the great sound you got. The octabass is a cool effect for sure. I also liked your companions...cool.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Spadaro Paolo » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:14 pm

Goug Great effect, Great sound, Great work!!!!!

PAOLO SPADARO.
Spadaro Paolo

Postby Douglas » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:35 pm

Spadaro Paolo wrote:Goug Great effect, Great sound, Great work!!!!!

PAOLO SPADARO.

Thanks Paolo, means a lot coming from you. I was just trying to have a little fun with the tune :D
Douglas

Postby KatelynP » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:36 pm

Really great, Doug!! You have a fantastic tone, and that Super Chet is a beauty. (Is the pickguard different? I haven't seen one with that style pickguard before). Love your Drive-In pals as well.

Edit: I saw your other post and realized it's a Super Gretsch. My bad.. :D
Katelyn
KatelynP

Postby Douglas » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:53 pm

KatelynP wrote:Really great, Doug!! You have a fantastic tone, and that Super Chet is a beauty. (Is the pickguard different? I haven't seen one with that style pickguard before). Love your Drive-In pals as well.

Edit: I saw your other post and realized it's a Super Gretsch. My bad.. :D

Thanks Katelyn for the nice comments. Now if I could only get a tone half as good as you do, especially on that 6120-59LTV. I really enjoy how you mix things up and come up with a style of own. Especially like your take on Windy and Warm. Over the years I've kind of got bored with listening to and playing that tune, but you've rekindled that tune for me with your fresh approach.

Cheers,
Doug

PS: don't worry about the edit. It's good to know I'm not the only one who ask questions that have been answered :D :D
Douglas

Postby rhirvine » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:54 pm

I really enjoyed it! I've always loved that tune, :D
rhirvine

Return to Video Files