Chet's Very Early Days

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet's Very Early Days

Postby whiskers » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:59 pm

I just learned from a local resident that Chet came with Archie Campbell to the grammar school I attended ......more than once! This would have been in the late 40s, or early 50s, only about 2 or 3 years prior to my time there. The school was Evensville Elementary, located about 75 miles from Knoxville in the very small town of Evensville, where I grew up. Wow, if I had only been born earlier! During that same era my dad was very active playing at various venues. He told me that he first met Chet while playing a benefit in Sweetwater, TN. Dad said Chet seemed a little nervous and stumbled a bit on a break, but quickly recovered, cracked a smile and finished in grand style.
I took dad to Chet's last Knoxville concert at the Tennessee Theater. After the show Chet, Johnny Majors, and dad talked for nearly twenty minutes about the old times. I was thrilled to get to inspect and play the HH guitar Chet had there. I remember the carving on the heel and back of the peg head.
My mom and dad were very talented musicians, and they loved Chet's music. My youngest brother and sister told me that every morning they got ready for school listening to Chet or LIT. And every time I stopped by mom would ask me to play "Yellow Bird", a tune I learned from Chet while wearing out the needle on my turntable. Yes, my family and I knew Chet well.....by his life's work. I miss them all.

Tom Robinson
whiskers

Re: Chet's Very Early Days

Postby DagerRande » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:15 pm

Very interesting, Tom!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Re: Chet's Very Early Days

Postby Jack Miller » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:31 am

I too was fortunate to attend the "last" concert at the Tennessee Theatre. It was postponed from the original date of March 13, 1998, (I have the ticket sub in front of me) until a couple of months later because of Chet's health. I wondered for several years if the Knoxville concert appearance was, in fact, his last. While he was still active on this board, I sent Paul Yandell an email with this question. He replied back quickly, confirming that it was and that he was very concerned that Chet could get through it. He did, of course, and there were flashes of his humor and personality. I've always thought it ironic that Chet got his "start" on Gay Street at WNOX's Mid-Day Merry-Go-Round and that his final concert was a few blocks down the same street at the Tennessee Theatre.
Jack Miller

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins