Salty Dog Rag

Watch and share videos from youtube

Salty Dog Rag

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:42 pm

I always liked Chet's version of this song. This is a good version, too...the first part is from Chet's arrangement. Michel Lelong.
Ray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DJVZuxQ9gU
Ray Bohlken

Re: Salty Dog Rag

Postby DagerRande » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:24 am

Ray, I noticed that he seemed only to be using his thumb and index finger like Merle did. It seems that
it would easier to play using more fingers! I'm impressed that he was able to handle it this way!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:54 am

Rande, I noticed that, too. It would be very difficult for me to play that way and do anything but the simplest songs. I think rolls would be impossible for me, although Merle and folks who play that way have no problems with rolls or other difficult passages. I guess talent will allow you to be great what ever your technique and Merle and his followers certainly have the touch. I know I don't...dang it. I think I read where Chet heard Merle on the radio a few times and had no idea he was only using 1 finger and his thumb, so he started playing songs in his own style and I'm sure glad he did. His birthday is coming up shortly and I miss hearing a new album or seeing a new show on TV that features him and Paul. It's helpful to see some videos on Youtube that I haven't seen before and that tribute to Chet in another post here was just great with that song and those photos. I sure enjoyed that.
Take care,
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby DagerRande » Sat Jun 18, 2016 6:42 pm

Yes Ray, this is the year that Chet would have turned 92!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Return to Video Files