Buster teaching in lounge

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Buster teaching in lounge

Postby Tompicks » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:08 am

For any of my friends that want to learn the way Buster B. Jones taught in the bar at the yearly CAAS convention, here is a rare clip. Hope it helps. He truly did like helping other players and freely shared his knowledge.

Tom Redmond
Tompicks

Re: Buster teaching in lounge

Postby DagerRande » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:08 am

Tom, I REALLY appreciate you posting this! It's probably one of the most valuable contributions I've seen here in a long time. I've always been fascinated with Buster's right hand control. I went through Brooks' course a couple of years ago because I knew that everything he taught came directly from Buster. In 1995 I sat Buster down in the same location as this video and recorded an hour or so of him on DAT tape but it wasn't a video and he didn't explain anything. I also have a few VHS tapes that are copies of what Buster sent to Bruce Emery in preparation for some of his materials. What I've learned about trying to learn Buster's technique is that we have our own physical limitations regardless of how well we understand everything he did. A person could be shown how to play "Flight of the Bumble-Bee" with one finger and understand it perfectly but good luck! That's how I feel about trying to play some of Buster's songs. I consider this video to be better than any of Buster's VHS teaching videos! Thanks again!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:52 am

What a great example of Buster's personality and teaching ability from his "office". I want to watch it some more and, hopefully, learn a lick or two..he just kept turning them out. Thanks for posting this, Tom.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby Richard Hudson » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:48 pm

I really miss Buster.
Richard Hudson

Postby DagerRande » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:46 pm

Ray, if you're able to download YouTube videos and save them, then you can keep this video and watch it off line, which is what I always do!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:36 am

Rande, I did down load it for later viewing. It's great to watch them later on. Take care,
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby lakepikr » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:55 pm

Ray, thank you for your posting of the video.
This is my first time posting on the board, after 5 years of "lurking" ...... there was "something" about Buster's playing that gave me a shot of "incentive", to start playing again.

I started playing at age 67 .... now 72 ..... too intimidated to play in a jam setting, so sitting at my computer watching You Tube videos is my only source of learning.
That wears out after a while, then I practice less, and so it goes.
But "Buster" got me going again.

Just wanted to tell you.
Thanks again.

bill
at Indian Lake, Ohio
lakepikr

Postby Roger Pratt » Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:47 pm

Bill......Get out there and jam buddy. Only way to learn how to pick with people. Tell them all mistakes are intentional like Chet used to do.
Roger Pratt

Postby lakepikr » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:30 pm

Hi Roger .... isn't it something that I mess up on my "first" post.
I mistakenly thanked "Ray" for the video .... when it was "Tom" who submitted it.

Yeah, I tried the jam setting where the heart starts pounding when it's almost my turn to play .... mind goes blank in the middle of a song I've played at home "MANY" times,..... can't remember what the next chord was supposed to be .....

It isn't the mistakes I make that troubles me ..... it's like standing in front of an audience to give a "speech".

Maybe by the time I turn "80" I'll be ready ....

bill
lakepikr

Postby Ray Bohlken » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:12 pm

Bill, I used to have that nerves thing, too. My hands would get like wood - inflexible. Our city had some adult education courses, one of which was 2 one hour sessions with a toastmaster - an organization who's members make speeches for fun. He showed me some ways to relax and release tension. It worked for me. I use the relaxtion techniques before I played open mikes or jammed. It's something to check out. I hope you can find away to relax because it is a way to have more fun with your guitar. Take care.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins