New Delvecchio

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

New Delvecchio

Postby Douglas » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:52 pm

DVRLabel.jpg
Finally was able to find a Del Vecchio that was playable. It looks to be an older one with Dancing Note logo on the headstock. Somewhere along the way over 55+ years, the resonator cone was replaced with a non DV unit which required attaching the biscuit via screws. It sounded OK, but a bit dead. I was able to get a replacement Paul Beard Delvecchio cone and it now sounds a whole lot better.
DVR1.jpg

I've tried recording the DV, using an AKG C2000B condenser mic into GarageBand. It took a while to find the best spots for mic placement, but generally towards the bridge end of the guitar sounded best. In general, the player doesn't get to enjoy the sound as much because you're effectively sitting behind the soundbox. Mic'ing it with headphones or an amp OR playing in front of a hard wall sounds good too.

I'll see if I can post the recording, which is a work in progress, later.

Doug
Douglas

Re: New Delvecchio

Postby Norm » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:17 am

thanks for the report on the Beard resonators

I figured they would be fine but it's always good to read a "review"
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Douglas » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:09 pm

Here's some images of the inner workings of the Delvecchio taken during the cone replacement:

1. The biscuit with screws!!!

2. Wooden sound well: note the hi-tech string!

3: A peek inside looking forward to the neck:
Attachments
DV Biscuit.jpg
DV Soundwell.jpg
DVinsideFR.jpg
Douglas

Postby Douglas » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:15 pm

And lastly, the new vs old cone. (note the screw holes and difference at the top of cone):
Attachments
DVconesbottom.jpg
Douglas

Postby Steve Sanders » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:37 pm

Douglas, I have a Conrad resonator that is a dead-ringer for a Del Vecchio and was wondering if the Beard folks have a specific cone for Del Vecchio guitars. I checked their website and didn't find anything mentioning Del Vecchio. Looks like they have one cone style/design. Did you have to measure yours for a replacement or are they pretty much "universal"? Thanks!! Hey, that is a nice looking guitar you have there!!! Steve
Steve Sanders

Postby Norm » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:41 pm

I'd be willing to bet the resonator on the right was not original to the guitar because the puck that is the bridge base on those things is more like the one on the left over 2" wide if I remember correctly

It's like the previous owner got a resonator either from Del Vecchio intended for a different model or something. In any case, the one on the right looks wrong in too many ways

Note to Steve Sanders

Beard has the things. You just need to root around in their website a little deeper

http://www.resophonicoutfitters.com/category/016.html
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

That should do it.
Norm

Postby Douglas » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:20 am

Norm wrote:I'd be willing to bet the resonator on the right was not original to the guitar because the puck that is the bridge base on those things is more like the one on the left over 2" wide if I remember correctly

It's like the previous owner got a resonator either from Del Vecchio intended for a different model or something. In any case, the one on the right looks wrong in too many ways

Note to Steve Sanders

Beard has the things. You just need to root around in their website a little deeper

http://www.resophonicoutfitters.com/category/016.html

Norm,

My thoughts exactly on the cone. The original probably got collapsed and the owner got something that "sort of worked". The biggest problem I had with the new cone in the bridge ended up being to low, since the previous owner shaved it to compensate for the taller apex on the nonDV cone. Had to shim up the bridge about 3/16ths. The action is good on this DV, on par with a Taylor or Martin.

I got the Beard replacement cone from Elderly since I've had good experience in the past with. Took only 3 days to get to Canada.

Found the best balanced tone string wise was to follow the recommendations elsewhere on this forum. Ended up going with the D,B, & high E from the Martin silk and steel set (lights), a plain .017 steel for the G, and Martin Classical nylon ball end for the low A and E.

Doug
Douglas

Postby Spadaro Paolo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:35 am

I'd like to know how to open the wooden lid, the lid that hides the hole where there is the cone, so as to inspect my aluminum cone. It needs to remove a seal?
Grazie, Paolo.
Spadaro Paolo

Postby Norm » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:38 am

Be careful and pay close attention as you take it off.

I don't know the trick but I have read the cover can be difficult to put back on

That should do it.
Norm

Postby Douglas » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:24 am

Paolo,

That yellowish ring that sits on top of the outside of the resonator cover plate is a retaining ring to hold the cover on and eliminate any rattles and buzzes. Basically a plastic/vinyl coated spring steel wire. Looking at your photo, it appears the ends of the ring are at about 11:o'clock in relation to the top hole on the cover plate.

If you remove the retaining ring the cover plate should lift off easily. Putting the cover back in is easy but....the retaining ring is frustrating at best to get back in place. Probably would be better to inspect the cone by looking through the sound holes with a flash light. If it looks OK and more importantly if it sounds the way you wants, I'd follow the advice of my late father: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Just my opinion based on a few frustrating hours last weekend.

Doug
Attachments
image.jpeg
Douglas

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment