Hank Thompson

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Hank Thompson

Postby Bob key » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:22 pm

I was listening to Hank doing little red wagon the intro and the break are some fine Travis picking,some say it was Hank some say it was Chet.I know Hank was a good Travis style player ,Hank did that style when he did a solo act I hurd him many times,but I dont know if he was on that recording ,maybe someone has that album with the credits,its on youtube

Thanks Bob
Bob key

Re: Hank Thompson

Postby Norm » Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:59 pm

Could have been Hank, could easily have been Merle since they were such close friends. Joe Maphis was known to do Travis style guitar work on some of Hank's records.

Being that those three guys all lived in and around LA I doubt it was Chet on any Hank Thompson albums.

It would have been easiest to have Merle at the session. That way Hank could focus on singing and back in those days the idea was to get four songs in a three hour session which makes dubbing in the guitar an extra chore.

And Merle would have made a little session money. After all... what are friends for?
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Bob key » Wed May 04, 2016 11:12 pm

Thanks Norn for your reply,it makes a lotta sense that it would be merle or Hank. Just as a sidenote I like that old tune red wagon and watch everybody play there version on youtube.well to my surprise I came found Chet doing a great lead on with Eddie Hill on youtube which I had never seen before you mite wanna take a look always fun to see young Chester.

Thanks again Bob
Bob key

Postby Norm » Wed May 04, 2016 11:29 pm

That would be this clip here...

It's really too bad someone never took the time to get the audio/visual sychronized better on these older clips.

These films were made around 1954-55 I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TIQ6832ieY
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Richard Hudson » Thu May 05, 2016 9:47 am

When was the Red Wagon song recorded? If it was back in the old days it was more than likely Merle Travis. If not, maybe Joe Maphis. I think Thom Bresh played on some much later Hank Thompson recordings, and I believe Eddie Pennington may have played on some also.

Richard
Richard Hudson

Postby Carl Martin » Thu May 05, 2016 4:40 pm

I seem to remember that Paul Yandell played on some also. But, at my age, I'm not too sure of anything anymore.
Carl Martin

Postby DagerRande » Fri May 06, 2016 10:30 am

Carl, you're not to old to remember how dangerous it is to let me play your Kirk Sand guitar!...lol
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins