Mr Sandman

Watch and share videos from youtube

Mr Sandman

Postby MrAstro » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:58 am

Here's a cover of Chet's iconic Mr Sandman.

It's not perfect but I hope there's something in there for you to enjoy.

Cheers

Andrew

MrAstro

Re: Mr Sandman

Postby DagerRande » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:20 am

Andrew, that was nice! I have a dentist friend whose father was a huge Chet fan but unfortunately passed away just before I moved to this area. The dentist told me that his dad played Chet's recording of "Mr. Sandman" all the time. This dentist is a musician himself and was always impressed with all of the changes throughout this arrangement and asked if I had ever figured it out? My response was to play it for him. He was almost in tears remembering his dad.

Thank You!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Ray Bohlken » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:39 am

I always enjoy your playing....I hope you keep posting the videos. I've never learned this song and I think I'm going to give it a go and see what happens.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby MrAstro » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:55 pm

Thanks very much Rande and Ray - glad you liked it. It's not as smooth as I'd like it but I guess I can work on that over time.

Most of the song isn't too hard but there are a couple of 'pinch points'. The stretches in the opening passage are pretty nasty if you have small hands like me although once you done it 1000 times they get a little easier :roll: The other hard bit is the chromatic run at the very end (some 9th flat 5 chords). Chet frets those chords with his thumb for the bass on the 5th string (I spied him doing it on a video on youtube). So you really need to wrap your hand around the neck and choke it if you have small hands :-) The alternative is to just play them without your thumb but that's also hard because it's a very cramped shape.

Not sure what to play next... I have a few ideas. At some point I need to make a start on Hello Bluebird. I have a few other songs I need to record but I have to fiddle with backing tracks for some of them.
MrAstro

Postby DagerRande » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:14 pm

I enjoyed your analysis, Andrew! I have a suggestion for another one that I feel is fairly difficult....."Little Bit of Blues".
I've always loved it. It's one of several of Jerry's songs that Chet recorded, although for many years I never knew it was Jerry's. It's not fast but once you get into it, you'll see why I said it was difficult.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby cliff » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:26 pm

Very Nice, Andrew. Loved it.

Cliff
Perth, WA
cliff

Postby MrAstro » Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:51 pm

Thanks very much Cliff!

Hope things are well in sunny Western Australia - I love it over there! :-)

Rande - I had a listen to A Little bit of Blues. Without playing it I think I can see why it is challenging. I like playing some of Ted Greene's chordal blues solos as an exercise and before I tried fingerstyle I played a lot of blues (like so many guitarists). It would definitely be fun to give this one a go. Thanks!
MrAstro

Postby DagerRande » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:34 pm

Yes Andrew, the changes are quick and as you know it's more difficult to move and reconfigure multiple finger placements quickly than it is to control one finger at a time.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Return to Video Files