Days

Watch and share videos from youtube

Days

Postby LMark » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:20 pm

I seem to recall that a while back Art was asking for advice on a new guitar. Seems he found one and is putting it to admirably good use!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoJT2ljcQWo

LMark
LMark

Re: Days

Postby Norm » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:00 pm

Nicely done

good to see someone use a Bigsby like he's not afraid of it
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Art Sims » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:48 pm

Hi LMark,
Thanks for noticing and posting that link to my playing of that guitar. What a neat surprise to check in here and see that. For a player of your calibre to post something of mine and speak well of it is, to me, a huge compliment. Thanks! You have a good memory, remembering my desire for input a while back. I actually wound up buying two, the Electromatic in the video and a used Joe Pass Epi that came up on Ebay at a price I couldn't resist. I wanted something easy to replace should something happen when playing out. My old Riviera is my most comfortable one but would be difficult to replace. The Electromatic seems to be a good choice, sets up well and plays pretty good. I changed the neck pickup to a TVJones Classic for a little bit meatier sound to my taste. The only other thing was that I removed the pick guard. I think it's a lot of guitar for its price range and should it become damaged or missing it would indeed be readily replaceable. Thanks again for noticing and for that positive remark. Curious what L in LMark stands for.
Art Sims

Postby LMark » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:42 am

Hi Art!

I go by Mark, of course. L. is the initial of my first name, Lewis. Palmer christened me LMark, as I recall. It was probably because I used LMark as a handle in a Chet Atkins live chat group many, many years ago. Can't recall exactly. Maybe Palmer does.

Thanks for posting your pieces on youtube. You have excellent touch and tone, and play in tune. Your arrangement also has a classic "Chet-ness" to it that I found to my liking.

Best, LMark

P.S. I don't know too much about that calibre stuff, except that Chet was something like a .454 or .44 mag.
LMark

Postby Pickin Palmer » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:38 am

It's actually for "Likeable", Art! :) And, you are perfectly correct when you mentioned what a high quality player Mark is. He picked up the "pickin" torch from his dad - a fine Travis style player, himself... We just wish he didn't live so far away up in Minnesoooota - which makes it difficult for him to come to CAAS, anymore. Your dad actually came to CAAS with you way back before he passed, didn't he Mark?

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Postby LMark » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:11 pm

Yeah, Palmer. Dad and I came in 2001 or 2002. He had a ball. And so did I, of course. He practically lived there in the Tuck Room.
LMark

Postby Art Sims » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:38 pm

What is the Tuck Room? I was able to attend CAAS once, 2008, and have wanted to again but haven't been able to. I remember a number of rooms of performances and some where workshops were done. Maybe one of those was a Tuck Room? I attended a workshop by an older guy who played really terrific, smooth fingerstyle arrangements of well known standards. Can't recall his name. Bobby something I think. But he was fantastic. I also attended a workshop by a harp guitar player from Naples. Can't remember his name either but he was really enjoyable to hear. Someday I hope to come again and get to know in person some who visit this board.
Art Sims

Postby Roger Pratt » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:20 pm

Art....The "Tuck Room" has had several names over time. It was named after a well known picker from Louisville, Ky named Tuck Razer who originated the room. It has been called the Ky Thumbpickers room, the Belmont room, and now it is known as Palmers room named after Palmer Moore who has been organizing it for many years now and does a fabulous job of it too. Palmer is the life blood of the room with a little help along the way dontcha know.
Roger Pratt

Postby DagerRande » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:27 pm

Art, "Bobby something" may be Bobby Gibson?
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Art Sims » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:31 pm

Yeah, I think that was it Rande. Bobby Gibson. I sure did like hearing him.
Art Sims

Next

Return to Video Files