R.I.P. Merle Haggard

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

R.I.P. Merle Haggard

Postby David Elliott » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:24 pm

Merle Haggard passed today, on his 79th birthday.
R.I.P. Mr. Haggard...
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-35981077
Last edited by David Elliott on Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Elliott

Re: R.I.P. Merle Haggard

Postby Roger Pratt » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:39 pm

My all-time favorite singer. Go with God "Hag"!
Roger Pratt

Postby Roger Lane » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:50 pm

Really sorry to hear of his passing. His performance of "Kern River" on the old Nashville Now show (now on YouTube) is a classic bare-bones performance of a man at home with his own song. R.I.P. Merle.
Roger Lane

Postby Richard Hudson » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:51 pm

He was in my hometown for a concert last November. I didn't get to meet him, but his concert was one I will never forget. If there ever was a man that knew who made him who he was, it was him. While the band was playing like they always do before the star comes on, Hag very quietly walked out of the darkness with no introduction and walked directly to center stage. He took off his hat and took a deep bow. He then walked to each side of the stage and did the same thing. The applause hardly died down as he went to the microphone and sang one hit after another. His own personal musicianship was right up there with the best of them on both the guitar and the fiddle.

I don't think there has ever been a better quality country voice than that of Merle Haggard. It is a very sad day.

Richard
Richard Hudson

Postby DagerRande » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:15 am

My dad took me to see him in 1982 when he came to my home town of Muskegon, Michigan (also Norm's) and he was on the same show with Ricky Scaggs.

Another famous celebrity who I got to know fairly well in his later years, also died on April 6 a couple of years ago. This was Mickey Rooney. David, it was while performing with his wife Jan that I first met you!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby David Elliott » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:49 pm

DagerRande wrote:My dad took me to see him in 1982 when he came to my home town of Muskegon, Michigan (also Norm's) and he was on the same show with Ricky Scaggs.
Another famous celebrity who I got to know fairly well in his later years, also died on April 6 a couple of years ago. This was Mickey Rooney. David, it was while performing with his wife Jan that I first met you!

Hi Rande!
Yes, I remember that...up in Ventura,CA at that convention as I recall.
My goodness, I didn't realize Mr. Rooney has been gone that long.
Best to you back there in Michigan!
David
David Elliott

Postby DagerRande » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:54 pm

David, I will be out there in August. Maybe we can arrange a meeting!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby David Elliott » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:03 pm

DagerRande wrote:David, I will be out there in August. Maybe we can arrange a meeting!

Rande,
Sorry for the long delay in responding to your post, I rarely get on here anymore, and just read it! I also no longer play guitar, because of health problems.
Take care,
David
David Elliott

Postby DagerRande » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:31 pm

David, I never forgot about your health problems. My last time with you was a few years ago and you were already not playing much then. It would be just to see you again if it were to work out. Did you already sell your Gibson CE?
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Return to Announcement and News