Who's going to CAAS 2016?

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Who's going to CAAS 2016?

Postby GaryMaddox » Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:37 pm

I went to a couple of the very first CAAS gatherings. I haven't been since but I am thinking about going this year.

Does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this? Any input would be appreciated.
GaryMaddox

Re: Who's going to CAAS 2016?

Postby GaryMaddox » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:00 pm

Wow, 80 people looked at my post and nobody replied. My but you are a shy bunch. At least I know there are breathing boding out there. :D

So is no one going this year or went in a recent year? I just want to know what to expect and if it's worth the time and money.

Thanks for lookin' anyway.
GaryMaddox

Postby DagerRande » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:22 pm

OK Gary, I'll respond. You didn't ask a very specific question such as "What's the schedule?" or "Where can people stay in the area?" I couldn't answer those questions anyway but there are a few who are always able answer those. I attended most of the conventions in the 90's and quit for awhile when Chet's health was so bad that he wasn't playing much any more. They had other people on the Saturday night program, which was always his big night. It just didn't seem the same so I quit going from 1999 until 2008. Now I've changed my reasons for attending and I'll probably continue as long as I'm able to. You'll meet some really great people and if you're one who is seriously trying to improve your own skill, you'll pick up lots and lots of pointers and useful information in the workshops and interacting with others, not to mention increasing your belief that you can do it too when you watch others! If you don't play much but want to be entertained and impressed, there is lots of opportunity for that also.
If you do attend, I'd like to meet you! We'll have to look for each other's name tags!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Ray Bohlken » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:11 pm

Gary, go to http://www.chetsociety.com where there are links to download the form to sign up for the convention. There is a link for the schedule, when it is set, that you can download. You can also sign up for a news letter email and join the society and get the great magazine. I hope this helps. Wish I could be there. I sure enjoyed the ones I attended.
Ray
Ray Bohlken

Postby GaryMaddox » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:14 pm

I did not ask specific questions because I was hoping to get responses just like yours. I figured I'd just stay at the venue and pretty much stay there.

I am trying to play more. I pretty much quit playing for a few years but I am trying to get back into it.

If I go, I'll look for you. Right now I am leaning on doing it. I will have to fly and don't really want to bring a guitar.

Thank you so much for the reply.
GaryMaddox

Postby DagerRande » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:22 pm

Ray, I wish you could be there too! Gary, I don't blame you for not wanting to bring a guitar when you fly. I have to drive a little over 500 miles but that's how I manage bringing one or more. When I lived in California I always had to fly and had problems with that. I don't know how much fingerstyle there is where you live but I'm not around it at all and the convention for me is like Disneyland for a child! The difference is that with Disneyland you only go home with your memories and maybe a souvenir or two but with CAAS you actually go home with valuable "tools" that are tangible and you can further develop your skills between conventions!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby LMark » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:50 pm

Gary, you might consider acquiring a Baby Taylor. It will travel well and the case will fit in the overhead of many passenger compartments. Just take the neck adjustment "tool" out of the case, or HS will take it when you go through the security line. CAAS is pretty much like a big family, and folk (even "famous" folk--you never know) will sit down with you and teach you licks and tunes till the cows come home. Don't miss that opportunity. LMark
LMark

Postby Roger Pratt » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:38 pm

I will be there Gary as usual. I always say I dont think I will be back but I always end up going if just to see some old friends. Most of the music I love but some not so much but hey, I don't have to sit and listen to the stuff I don't care for. It's always a hoot for me! Hope I meet you there!!
Roger Pratt

Postby Carl Martin » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:09 am

I tell people who are going for the first time to move on if they don't really like what they are hearing.
There is so much music in so many places, you are bound to find some that you really like.
Carl Martin

Postby Carl Martin » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:12 am

I just realized that I am one of those that read every day,but seldom post.This will be my 31st post since 2010.
My bad!
Carl Martin

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins