Doyle Dykes & Godin Guitars

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Re: Doyle Dykes & Godin Guitars

Postby DagerRande » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:14 am

I consider Doyle to be a steel string guitar player. Even though I know that Godin makes steel string guitars, among the "Chet community" they are still a nylon string guitar company. I've never seen Doyle play a nylon string guitar. Maybe he will this Summer if he attends the convention. I suppose he could be good for Godin in promoting their less popular steel string guitar line.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Richard Hudson » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:13 am

Doyle can play anything with strings on it, and keyboard instruments also. His brother, Aubrey, is actually the keyboard player in the family, but Doyle knows his way around it also. But, the fact is that he has built his style and what he is around electrified acoustic instruments, which I guess is a bit of a contradiction - electrified acoustic, but that's what he does. That is his sound. Kirk Sand has been building a Doyle Dykes signature electric nylon string for several years, and he and Doyle have always had, and continue to have a good relationship. When he plays electric, most of the time it is a Gretsch. That is out of respect for Chet and his fans. Fred and Dinah Gretsch are good folks and I am glad they continue to make Chet style instruments.

I just wanted to clarify that my information about Doyle is not hearsay. He is like a brother to me and we are in contact every few days. I am not in any official capacity as far as being an official spokesman for him, but when I do share information about him, it is from him, and with his permission, and not internet rumors.

Thanks,
Richard
Richard Hudson

Postby DagerRande » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:40 pm

Richard, I don't doubt you in the slightest. I know that he is a good friend and I also know that you and Paul Yandell were close. I had that same relationship with Tommy Jones.

My point wasn't about whether or not Doyle could play a nylon string guitar, it had more to do with a person who performs on steel string guitar representing a company know for it's nylon string guitars. But as I eluded to, it may expand Godin's sales by attracting more steel string players.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Roger Pratt » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:33 am

Hi Rande.....Godin makes far more steel string guitars than nylon. If you will take a look at the link here, you will see. The only thing they do not make much of are steel string acoustics but they own Simon and Patrick and Seagull models that do make them. http://www.godinguitars.com/godinproductlistingp.htm
Roger Pratt

Postby DagerRande » Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:13 am

Roger, I guess my perception was influenced by the fact that I never even heard of Godin's until Buster popularized them with his endorsement or representation. And that was the Multiac, which is a nylon string guitar. I didn't realize their ownership of Seagull, etc. Yes, I guess that would expand what's available. Thanks!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby guitarchuck » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:03 am

I've seen some recent video of Doyle playing a Seagull Guitars Artist Studio Concert Hall Sunburst HG acoustic. He mentioned in his announcement video that he has a Seagull that he had his LR Baggs pickup system installed in. I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking his new model will be a Seagull based on this model. He has been playing a Godin Nylon Multiac SA at his latest shows. I would think he will be playing various models from the Godin companies since he will be representing Godin at music store clinics around the world.
guitarchuck

Postby Richard Hudson » Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:17 pm

Godin and Doyle are working on preparing a steel string acoustic to his liking. He is hoping it will be ready by the end of this year. I am with you that Buster B Jones was the face of Godin for me and many others. It would be easy to think that they only made nylon strings or at least concentrated on them. Buster B sure made them sing. There's no doubt. Godin is a lot bigger company than most of us think.
Richard Hudson

Postby DagerRande » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:26 pm

Thanks, Richard. This whole thread opened my eyes about Godin and Doyle. Speaking of Buster, I wasn't all that taken by his actual musical ideas or chord structures but he always created catchy grooves. To me his strong point
was his right-hand technique. I've gotten into to it fairly intensely, thanks to Brooks!
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Postby Richard Hudson » Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:21 pm

I was always taken by his confidence while he was playing. Almost arrogant but he had a big heart and he loved teaching. I always enjoyed him.
Richard Hudson

Postby DagerRande » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:30 pm

I agree that Buster was confident in what he knew and could do. He also created some right hand patterns that I haven't seen anywhere else and I've been playing for a long time! As it turned out, they were necessary to play some of his songs correctly. It's sort of like trying to play Jerry's music without ever using the 3rd finger, which was an important key detail.
Rande Dager

DagerRande

Previous

Return to Guitars and Equipment