Help needed for playing My Town

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Help needed for playing My Town

Postby Pickin Palmer » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:29 pm

Why, at 75 and possessing “marginal” musical abilities, would I want to submit myself to more “impossible” attempts at any of Chet's accomplishments – I don't know. But, “My Town” has been stuck in my aging head for many years – but, it just never “rolled off my fangers.” Nor, could I get his syncopation – even close. However, it is one neat little ditty and quite a left hand fingering challenge – for a musical idiot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0pBotAcMnM (When transposed from Db to C - - - - C, E, Am, Em, A, Dm, C, A7, D7/A, D7/Ab, G..)

The only person I ever heard play it is Robert Anderson – and, he NAILS IT! (It helps that Chet probably “coached” him a little bit on it.) And, I wish he was sitting right here at my kitchen table to ask him questions about how to play it. (Yes, I practice at my kitchen table – I'm thrice divorced and don't have to practice in the BASEMENT – anymore. (lol)

My question(S) to Robert would be:

I know he recorded it in Db – was he just using a capo? If, so – we can play it in C with the same fingering – I'm assuming.

Does he (should we) grab the very neat syncopated initial C melody with a regular C chord fingering at the first fret, or with what I call “A fingering” at the 5th fret? (I can grab his 3rd harmonies easier using the A fingering.)

How do/should we grab that next E7 with our left fingers to walk that 3rd tone up – against the 7th tone? (My normal E7 grab would be using my little finger on the 7th – but, the 3rd tone “walk up” needs to go past the 7th tone!)

Any help for the inept would be greatly appreciated....

Palmer
Pickin Palmer

Re: Help needed for playing My Town

Postby Pickin Palmer » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:46 pm

Arg! Never mind...I just found Marcel playing it on YT, also. My problem is that i think of everything out of a chord shape.... I get in my own way - A LOT! LOL

p
Pickin Palmer

Re: Help needed for playing My Town

Postby Spadaro Paolo » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:22 pm

I plan to upload a video to this song soon. Great song !!!!!!

Ciao Palmer!!!!! ;) ;) ;)
Spadaro Paolo

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins