Chet and Fans.

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: Chet and Fans.

Postby BillB » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:22 pm

I saw Chet in concert on 3 occasions. The first was in Corpus Christi, TX in about 1986. He had his group which included Paul, and he also had musicians from Prairie Home Companion. Chet played a little by himself, and then his guys came out and played with him. At some point, there was a break, and then the other musicians came out (including Johnny Gimble). Chet played fiddle on a song or two with Johnny, and they also did "Won't You Come Home Bill Bailey" (Chet sang it), which I thoroughly enjoyed. It was almost like they knew I was there. Anyway, it was a great fun!

The second time I saw Chet was with the Houston Symphony Orchestra, probably around '88 or '89. Again, Chet did some of his own stuff before the Orchestra joined them. I remember that when he came out (by himself), he was having a problem with something, and Paul came out to help him get it quickly fixed. After that concert, he did a meet and greet sort of thing and signed autographs. Somewhere around here, I have a program that he signed. I remember that he looked pretty tired.

The third time I saw him was also in Houston, and it was in the very early '90s. It was at a large club venue, and it was billed as Chet Atkins and Friends. He had Larry Carlton, Albert Lee, Leo Kottke, and Randy Goodrum on piano. Chet brought some Nashville sessions players along. I'm not sure if Paul was with them, but he probably was. I'm glad that I got to see him those 3 times and shake his hand once.

Bill B.
BillB

Postby PhilHunt » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:36 pm

First time I met Chet was about '88. He was playing with Garrison Keilor at Wolftrap. Garrison did his whole "yawn"....set, then brought Chet out. Chet and Paul and the band were amazing. I remember when he came on stage his orange guitar was really shining in the spotlights. I remember him saying, "Paul said I should play on this old guitar tonight so I don't wanna disappoint him." All I know is that it wasn't a Gibson Country Gentleman....but it was orange. It looked like a Gretsch 6120. I remember it didn't have a bigsby.
Anyways, after the concert was over....I ran around back where the back stage door was. People were really crowded around Garrison. And there stood Chet off to the side.....nobody around him and he was eating an apple. I was the only one there talking with him, he was so nice and down to earth. The I went over to the hotel shuttle van and talked with Paul, Darrell Dybka and the others. I remember Paul saying, "Well Darrell this is one for the books.....someone actually wants to meet us and get out autographs and pictures". Paul was a trip!
PhilHunt

Postby DagerRande » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:35 pm

Phil, I'm not surprised that Chet wasn't being crowded around since it was actually Garrison's show and that was who the audience came out to see. The same thing happened to me the first time I met Tommy Jones. He was only one act on an Archie Campbell show. The crowds gathered around Archie and Tommy was on the other end of the stage kneeling and putting his guitar it its case. He seemed shocked to meet someone who drove 4 hours ONLY to see him!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Eddie Estes » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:00 pm

I met Chet twice. He was on his way to Kirk Sand's room at the Sheraton at the 94 CAAS and Kirk took a picture of me and Chet together.
At a later one Chet did some question and answer sessions. He had been getting a little grief from some for doing those contemporary jazz albums.
I told him I learned from ALL his albums and I really liked the Sails album. He talked to me about 10 minutes asking me where I was from and was I having a good time.

Chet unlike a lot of stars didn't have the big ego he could have justifiably had.

He and Paul were class acts and I am really proud to say I got to know Paul really well and his family!
Eddie Estes

Postby rkk2786 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:52 pm

Great running into you last night George!

Micah
rkk2786

Postby George Beasley » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:40 pm

nice seeing you, too, Micah!
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby emjaybee94 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:28 pm

George,
I saw Tommy and Martin Taylor a couple of years ago. I'd booked up months before, but on the day of the concert I suddenly had a thought that Tommy does a "meet and greet" before his shows. I emailed his office and got a reply almost immediately ..... "owing to demand, Tommy isn't able to see everyone at his M & G events" I was disappointed, but thought, well, next time I'll be more prepared. We got to the concert hall about an hour before the show to pick up the tickets I'd ordered online. As I entered the foyer an Australian voice called out, "Are you Mike Barker?"
I was rather startled, but replied "Yes I am."
"Well, Tommy wants to see you."
I was ushered into the auditorium and there was Tommy to greet me. He shook my hand and we spoke for about 5 minutes as if we had known each other all our lives. What an amazing guy ..... and what an amazing concert afterwards.

Regards
Mike
emjaybee94

Postby jdrpicker22 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:57 pm

Very cool Mike! What a great guy.
jdrpicker22

Postby Tom Workman » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:10 pm

Talent with humility makes for a great combination. - Tom W.
Tom Workman

Postby emjaybee94 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:15 am

Tom Workman wrote:Talent with humility makes for a great combination. - Tom W.

You really hit the jackpot with that statement Tom. Chet was was an ace in both Talent and Humility.

I never got to see him after a show, but I did meet Paul after Chet's concert at Her Majesty's Theatre in October 1983 and I have his autograph, although I can't remember what we talked about.

I had, however, met Chet on the previous evening at a private party hosted by Doug Smith, Richard Smith's father, and had the great honour of playing guitar in front of Chet. My knees knocked all the way through a rendition of "The Folks That Live On The Hill" .... not always in time to the music, I might add. Later that evening I got to play guitar with him and young Richard on "Sweet Georgia Brown". I'm pretty certain I didn't do a solo .... I couldn't play that tune then and would struggle with it now, but I have a couple of treasured photos of us playing together to remind me of a superb evening. I met Leona that evening as well ... she was a lovely lady.

Regards
Mike
emjaybee94

Previous

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins