Chet and Fans.

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet and Fans.

Postby jdrpicker22 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:09 pm

So I went and saw Tommy Emmanuel the other night and I was really impressed and absolutely loved the concert. I wish I could've met him and had him sign an album or something, but I know he meets many people every night, and the security is understandable especially with some of the nutjobs around. But I was wondering what Chet was like with his fan? Did he meet and talk to people before and after his shows, or did he cloister himself in the dressing room and surround himself with security (I'm guessing no but just wondering)? I've heard Tommy is very gracious to people, which is wonderful; I guess I wouldn't really know what to say to do with him, maybe just ask him how he is, like I do with everyone else. I know some performers give themselves out to others and feel no one treats them like a normal person because of their fame. I guess I'd ask Tommy if I could look at hid guitar maybe. Alright just rambling now. Thanks guys.
jdrpicker22

Re: Chet and Fans.

Postby Richard Hudson » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:52 pm

I never had the privilege to meet Chet, or attend one of his concerts before he got seriously ill, so I don't know anything there. I would think that he was a very gracious man, though, at least as much as possible.

Tommy is one of the most personable fellows in the world. He loves to meet folks and talk. He used to stay and talk to people until the last one left, but I think a few years back his dr may have advised him that he needed to scale back on that a little, so now he does a meet and greet before his concerts for those who have made prior arrangements. Tommy never forgets his friends.
Richard Hudson

Postby GaryL » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:59 pm

I met Chet several times after his shows. It was something you kind of had to know before hand and how I found out was from Paul. After a show, Paul was on stage and I went up on stage and talked to him. I didn't know if that was okay and no one stopped me (I had my wife with me too.) I asked about seeing Chet and Paul said "just hang around and he'll be out in a while." Well I did and that was the first time I met Chet. He was bascially saying hello, would sign an autograph or album and take a picture. It was very low key and Chet was very nice. One time I brought my mom and dad with me and out of the blue my dad starts talking to Chet about the Louvin Brothers (I did not know who they were). They had a quick conversation and I couldn't believe my eyes and ears. Later at other concerts, I remembered what Paul said and I would hang around and also talk to Paul. It was different years ago.
GaryL
GaryL

Postby Norm » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:17 pm

Twice.

Once about 1970 a mutual friend drove me to South Shore Lake Tahoe to see him.
I got to see him alone in his dressing room. I realized at that time what an imposition fans are to performers because we know so much about them yet we are total strangers to them

We didn’t have much to say until I mentioned modifying my Tennessean along the lines of his ’59 during the time it had the selector switch where the volume knob goes.

That got his attention. I went and got my guitar and we talked about tricking up those Gretsch toggles.

He, at my request, played part of Chopin’s ‘Minute Waltz’ and he, bless his heart, tried to explain cascading harmonics to me but I was too star-struck to absorb it.

Had dinner with him and his friend (guitarist Sheldon Bennett) but was more of a listener then.

Second time was at a show in Oakland, CA. Had my ten year old son with me. I pointed him at a stage usher after the show figuring (rightly) a kid might get a break better than an adult.

It worked and there we were, backstage! His 59 was laying on the floor in an open case and I bent over it and noticed the fingerboard.
“Fingerboard looks wide” I said
“Oh, yeah,” he said, “It’s just an old Gentleman I had them try a wider neck on.”
But it was The 59 because that super tron pickup was on it.
He was kind… signed an autograph for my son and we were off…

Chet definitely had a Presence about him. He was very careful to not hurt the feelings of his fans

A country gentleman for sure…
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby bill raymond » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:00 pm

I had a chance to meet him once. I had seen him in concert in Mpls. MN, but was stopped from going backstage by an usher. I wrote to him expressing my disappointment and was quite surprised to receive a letter from Chet saying he'd be happy to see me after his upcoming concert. I saw him backstage and told him about having been stopped by an usher and he said "I answered your letter, didn't I?". We talked for a bit about guitars and I asked him about the mysterious holes in his CG. He explained that he "had a fellow put some pedals on it". He was very pleasant and signed my concert program, but seemed a bit surprised I asked him to--perhaps because he had already autographed the letter to me. He winked at my wife. A number of people had come backstage in hope of meeting him and he was very cordial to all.
bill raymond

Postby DagerRande » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:51 am

I was fortunate enough to meet Chet the very first time I ever saw him in concert in Atlanta in 1969 while I was in the army stationed at Ft. Benning in Columbus, GA. It's a whole story in itself but security was sympathetic after the show when they saw my patience and determination. They finally let me backstage and out into a long hallway where Chet was just walking out of room wearing black gloves and carrying a guitar case. I nervously approached him and told him how much he had meant to me and had influenced my musical direction in life. He was very appreciative and gracious. He signed my program and thanked me. I also got to witness a well known line of his first hand. As he was walking away, I asked him if he read music. He responded "Not enough to hurt my playing. " That was both humorous and encouraging to me!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby jdrpicker22 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:23 am

That's great. That is a big reason I have an appreciation for guys like Chet and Tommy, they are good people. Today young people are barraged with people like Kayne West and Justin Bieber, who have little musical talent and live immoral lives. I am so thankful I heard Chet when I did. Thanks for the responses I hope I hear more Chet stories.
jdrpicker22

Postby Richard Hudson » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:28 pm

Mr Raymond's experience with Chet writing him a letter reminded me of a boyhood experience I had. When I was quite young, probably around 12 or so, I made a very bad homemade reel to reel recording and sent it to him. With the tape I sent a letter telling him how much I admired him and that I had some of his records. He sent the tape back to me with a very gracious note telling me that they were not accepting audition tapes at that time, but he thanked me for going to the trouble, and he also thanked me for the compliments. Somehow in moving or something, the letter got lost. I sure wish I still had it, but that letter indicated to me that he was a very decent person, and I never forgot it.

Richard
Richard Hudson

Postby George Beasley » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:11 am

I only saw Chet play once, back in the early 90's. It was the opening of the Bellevue Mall, west of Nashville. Stanley Jordan was opening for Chet. At the end of Chet's set, he brought Stanley back up, and they played together....can't remember what it was, other than a blues number. After the show I went to the side of the stage, and met Stanley. I went to the other side to meet Chet, but he and Paul were already nearly out the exit door.

I kinda regret not running after them just to say hi, but it looked like Chet was ready to go home.

Missed opportunities....
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby Norm » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:17 am

Paul got really protective of Chet as time went on and Chet's health began to cause problems
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Next

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins