Christmas Songs

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Christmas Songs

Postby GaryL » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:53 am

For me it's that time of year to dust off some Christmas songs that have gotten DUSTY under my fingers. I have been wearing out Chet's Christmas albums as usual and I enjoy hearing him on the radio and in stores. I love hearing him in the stores and I often want to stop shoppers and say "That's Chet Atkins you are listening to and I met him several times." Lately I have been working on 2 songs. Liona Boyd's "O Holy Night" from her "A Guitar For Christmas" book. That one is a challenge because I'm playing it on my classical and the action/playability is a bit difficult, but with some hours of practicing it's coming along and my playing is much better for it. The other song is Craig Dobbins' "Silent Night" from his great "Acoustic Christmas" book/CD. He does it in a Lenny Breau jazzy type of arrangement and the melody is perfect. I have used that to inspire me to work up some of my own versions - thanks Craig. As a side line, I also stole a few licks from Craigs Christmas composition "Sand Mountain Sleigh Ride." Anyway, I'd like to say more, but my real boss is telling me to get the Christmas decorations down from the attic. Folks that's no JOAK. :(
GaryL
GaryL

Re: Christmas Songs

Postby DagerRande » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:21 pm

Gary, the Christmas music has been playing in our local mall since Nov. 1 so your "boss" may be in line after all....lol.

I need to put a few together also. The performance requests are mounting up!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins