Chet's Rehearsals

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Chet's Rehearsals

Postby Richard Hood » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:42 pm

I'm just curious. Does anyone know anything about Chet's rehearsals with his band?
I've never heard anyone discuss his rehearsals before. I just wonder how often he
did that...just once before a TV appearance, or several times? Rehearsals for albums?
I know they were so good they probably didn't need a lot. But to learn to new tune
and put a show together, it would seem that they might rehearse a little. Just never
heard any discussion about it.
FYI...I got to hear Chet rehearse at 5:00 prior to his show for the 1994 Chet convention
at the Music City Sheraton. Very interesting.
Richard Hood

Re: Chet's Rehearsals

Postby Norm » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:42 am

I don't think he rehearsed that much. Paul Yandell implied as much. Chet would go over a tune with him a few times, maybe tell him what he wanted done and he expected Paul to deliver.

The level of musicians he took on the road was always top quality and they probably rehearsed some before they went on tour but after that it was probably more like tightening things up during sound checks

Once the tour is set they tend to play the same show (with some variation) from venue to venue
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby DagerRande » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:50 am

I would have to look for it but someone sent me a cassette tape of one of Chet's rehearsals with Paul in the early 90's.
It was very interesting because of hearing all of the conversation and "smoothing out" rough spots, etc.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby rkk2786 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:29 pm

As for a full band rehearsal, I only heard dad mention a couple of times that they were all getting together for a rehearsal and that was typically at Chet's house. I was around a lot of shows, if there was something that Chet wanted to do in the show they would usually work it out at sound check before the show. Dad and Chet would rehearse at lot before the show, dad would go into Chet's dressing room about thirty minutes before the show and they would sit there and play, Chet seemed to always have some new tune he was working on or they would just sit around and pick some. Then right before the show would start dad would walk out on the stage and check Chet's guitars and amp.

I was at a few taped shows and Chet would be using other musicians, drummer, bass etc., and he would tell them what he wanted them to play. I know the Chet Atkin's HBO show, there was a lot of rehearsing, but that would be typical for that type of venue. Like, Norm said, great musicians can adapt pretty quick to any situation.

On a final note, tomorrow will be the four year anniversary of Dad passing away, my family and I sure do miss him.
Tx,
Micah
rkk2786

Postby BillB » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:43 pm

Micah,
I miss my dad on a regular basis, and he's been gone for over 10 years now. With that said, I know that I speak for a lot of people when I say that I miss your dad as well. In those years that I knew him, he always treated me like we went way back many more years. If a person was honest and treated him with respect, he returned that respect. And he would go out of his way to help those folks as well. I know that from experience. With all of this said, the Chetboard has never been the same since he left us. But it is nice to see that it has begun to have some renewed life as people are starting to post more, and most have been interesting threads like this one. I haven't posted much, but I've sure been following the conversations.

Blessings to all!

Bill B.
BillB

Postby rkk2786 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:02 pm

Thanks Bill! Dad loved people and was always ready to help anyone. He always told you the truth about things! He loved helping players!

Micah
rkk2786

Postby DagerRande » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:47 pm

Micah, I may be one of the strange few who remembered that date along with:

June 30, 2001 Chet
Sept. 4, 2002 Tommy Jones
Aug.31 or Sept.1, 2008 (I've heard both) Jerry Reed
Feb. 2, 2009 Buster B. Jones
and of course Nov. 21, 2011 Paul Yandell

I've talked to your dad off and on since I first met him at one of Chet's shows in Florida in 1977. I wish I had gotten to know him like Phil and Eddie did, and I was even there when your dad made that call to Darrell Toney that put them on stage in 2009!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Richard Hudson » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:07 am

I don't mean to hijack Richard's thread, but I just wanted to mention something about Paul. I thought the world of him, and he was an awful lot of help and encouragement to me. It's really hard to come to the CAAS now that he is not there. I have never tried to remember departure dates all that much. I don't even remember the exact dates my Mom and Dad left. I always remember their birthdays and their wedding anniversary. However with Paul, it is different. Tomorrow is my wedding anniversary, which is a happy time, but it is also a sad time because it is the date that I lost a very dear friend and mentor. There are no more Paul Yandells. I'll be thinking about him a lot tomorrow, and also be sending my best wishes to Marie, Micah and Sheri.

Richard
Richard Hudson

Postby Richard Hood » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:38 am

Thanks to all of you for your replies.
It is certainly appropriate to remember Paul
as we discuss Chet's rehearsals.
Micah, we are thinking of you at this time,
and we are appreciative of all your dad did
for Chet.
Richard Hood

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins