Guitars and style.

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Guitars and style.

Postby jdrpicker22 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:19 pm

So with my duo, I usually play acoustic because I have to sing all the vocals, I like acoustic and it is really a different beast to rip into playing a solo or instrumental; but I also bring my electric to most shows because I do play some Chet medleys and instrumentals and Hymns that the electric sound better on. But I find that when I play the electric I play with more precision and cleanness that with the acoustic. Anybody else do this?I mean i dont play sloppy acoustic but rhythms on acoustic are fun to play choppy chords (Django-esque) and do more licks with. The electric I just get lost in the touch and tone and play everything more simply and cleaner. I have had kinda a breakthru this last year in "playing less and saying more" ya know. My little sister (the other half of our duo) play piano and she is very good, but it seems like she plays every bar of the song as hard and fancy as she can. (shes only 14) we have talked about this concept, but it seems like she is in a rut of trying to play to impress other musicians, not the audience. Playing for people and playing for other musicians are two different things.

Jon
jdrpicker22

Re: Guitars and style.

Postby MrAstro » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:29 pm

jdrpicker22 wrote:But I find that when I play the electric I play with more precision and cleanness that with the acoustic. Anybody else do this? I mean i dont play sloppy acoustic but rhythms on acoustic are fun to play choppy chords (Django-esque) and do more licks with. The electric I just get lost in the touch and tone and play everything more simply and cleaner.

Sure - I recently recorded a video Yankee Doodle Dixie on an acoustic with a very nice action. I realised afterwards that the tempo was a bit slow. I couldn't up the tempo any further on the acoustic without getting sloppy (or without more hours of practice). So I just grabbed an electric and instantly upped the tempo by a good 10-15% i.e. right up to speed. For me at least, I need to play the acoustic more physically and it takes a bit more effort. It mightn't be such an issue if I played an acoustic all the time and got used to it, but if I practice on an electric and suddenly pick up an acoustic I need to pick a little more forcefully and precisely to make the sound carry and that slows me up a bit.

Some people say practicing on an acoustic makes you a better player - that might be right to a certain extent because it probably develops a little extra strength in the fingers.
MrAstro

Re: Guitars and style.

Postby Norm » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:47 am

The audience, they're not professionals.
They just love music. It isn't necessary to play over their heads to be admired.
__Les Paul
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins