The new chetboard

Discussion of history's greatest guitar player.

Re: The new chetboard

Postby George Beasley » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:28 pm

It doesn't seem very active right now, but it will be ok after everyone gets used to it.

Thanks,
George
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby tyguy » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:12 am

Bill Patrick wrote:I guess i am old school and don,t take to change like some , so i have to agree with Big Bill Murphy . I liked the old Chet Board better . But i guess i will get use to it sooner or later . Bill Patrick .

Me too I'm old but I'm slow! Ty M.
tyguy

Postby Randy Finney » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:37 pm

Below is a reply to Wes Southerland's post in the News & Announcements Discussion. I am reposting it here in case some of you don't go into the N & A Discsussion pages often.

Yes, this is what worries me the most as well. The main reason I visit the board is to hear what the "old guys" - although young at heart! - have to say.

From the comments I have read, I think what some are finding a little uninviting about he new format is that a) discussions are segregated, and; b) the levels of hierarchy (finding and getting up to date on an established discussion requires lots of clicking, page turning, and manual sorting).

Part of the solution is easy and can be "fixed" by the user. First, set your preferences up to log in automatically. Then click on "view active topics" and bookmark the page that appears. When returning to the board, click this new bookmark and you will automatically log in and bypass all the segregation. As an added bonus, this page defaults to a descending sort so you will be able to get a quick read on what the newest post is, however, this will still be limited to only one per topic unless....

....the other part of the solution is embraced by the "Chetboard Brass". This would require the code to be tweaked to show multiple reply posters for each topic (truncated to 5 or 6 or whatever is reasonable). It would not be complicated to do this tweak.

Implementing both the above would give Chetboard users the best of both worlds. It would allow those who choose to, to use the new board exactly like the old one. At the same time, it would allow those who choose to, to interface with the board via its current default set up.

Hope I am not out of line by suggesting this. (Although, I have been in trouble here before and survived :roll: )

Randy
Randy Finney

Postby Wes Southerland » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:34 pm

thanks randy for the response...... frankly i cant even find my original post now. this is what makes it difficult for everyone, the divided post sections should be reduced to just a few or eliminated
Wes Southerland

Postby Sholmst » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:00 pm

Thanks Tom. I really needed some help there. Once I get used to it this format will be better, I've already used it to edit that last post. Much easier.
Scott R. Holmstrom
Sholmst

Postby cgprnd » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:20 pm

I really like the appearance of this new board configuration because it is similar to some of the more sophisticated boards I've seen on other subjects in the past. However, I was used to the "thread" concept and looking for comments on certain posts with the old system. I could look for a certain post and then look for the indentations, and even indentations on those. It will take me a while to sort things out here and decide what goes with what. We also have to choose a category before we view the posts. If I don't happen to be interested in looking at posts dealing with equipment, I'll never see those that might have otherwise caught my attention. In the old system it was "everything" vs. "audio/video". Not so here.

Rande
Rande Dager
cgprnd

Postby baggetta » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:43 pm

I appreciate all of the work done on the Chetboard in the past, but don't really like the new format. The board has lost its 'homeyness' if there is such a word. The old Chetboard had an easy format to follow and of course had become ingrained in all of us. Well, that's progress. My opinion.
Al B.
baggetta

Postby whiskers » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:26 pm

I think Tom has done a good job. This board is similar to several others I frequent on other subjects.

I never did figure out the search function on the "old" board. Every time I searched for a term, I got thousands of hits. It was almost like reading a book page by page and never finding an index. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I have been doing genealogical research online for about 20 years, and I found the search function problematic. Hopefully, the new board will help me in that respect.

Tom Robinson
whiskers

Postby Doug_H » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:46 pm

whiskers wrote:I think Tom has done a good job. This board is similar to several others I frequent on other subjects.

I never did figure out the search function on the "old" board. Every time I searched for a term, I got thousands of hits. It was almost like reading a book page by page and never finding an index. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I have been doing genealogical research online for about 20 years, and I found the search function problematic. Hopefully, the new board will help me in that respect.

The key is to choose 'All Terms' instead of 'Any Terms'. Then all your search words 'must be' in the results. If you choose 'Any Terms' and you have the word 'the', or the letter 'a' in word in your search string...every post with the word 'the' or the letter 'a' will be pulled up (darn near every post). So always choose 'All Terms'. It works very well that way.
Doug_H

Postby whiskers » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:42 pm

Doug_H wrote:
The key is to choose 'All Terms' instead of 'Any Terms'. .

thanks, Doug.... pardon me, but I have to go back into my cave now.....

Tom Robinson
whiskers

PreviousNext

Return to Mister Guitar, Chet Atkins