Another Harmony H174 thread - prismatone install setup

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Another Harmony H174 thread - prismatone install setup

Postby albdamned » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:12 pm

First of all, hey everyone. It's been awhile since I've trolled the Chet Board. I'm glad to see it's still kickin'.

I just bought a harmony H174. It's actually in transit but I'm already scheming. I have one of Sam Kennedy's prismatone pickups currently installed on my Kirk Sand. It's great but I'm thinking I'd rather have it on that harmony to go full on for the Reed tone. Tge old RMS saddles can go back on the sand bc the bridge wasn't swapped out. I'd love to have another prismatone but I'm not sure Sam is still making them.

So I have a couple of questions...

1) is anyone making bridges that will fit the prismatone or is it better to retrofit the harmony bridge?

2) can anyone recommend a luthier for the project? It'd be fun to also make the chop shop cutaway like on Jerry Reed's Baldwin 801. I'm in the New Orleans area and would prefer someone in driving distance bc expenses will be high if I have to ship two guitars round trip. Though it could be worth it if there's someone that has done a few of these and is interested. im sure the Harmony will also need a good setup. I'm looking for that low action Reed sound.

Cheers

Chris
albdamned

Re: Another Harmony H174 thread - prismatone install setup

Postby jay » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:50 pm

Phil had some of those bridges that held the prismatone. You might PM him and see if he has any more laying around.
jay kantor
jay

Postby albdamned » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:18 am

Thanks Jay. Will do!
albdamned

Postby alexjones » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:58 am

Chris,
I had Kirk Sand install my prismatone to a Harmony H-173. I also got the bridge from Phil - that was a while back though, I don't know if he has any more. I also had Kirk shave the neck down on my H-173 and now that thing is so smooth! It's such a sweet playing guitar. I think he charged me around $400 for everything, but yeah I know shipping sucks. But some things are just best left to someone who really knows what they are doing. Good luck, let us know how it turns out!
Alex
alexjones

Postby albdamned » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:08 pm

Thanks Alex. Kirk is great. I'd be lucky if he wanted to take the work, and I'm sure he could properly re-install the old RMS system.
albdamned

Postby albdamned » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:14 pm

Does anyone know if Sonny Thomas is still around and taking work?
albdamned

Return to Guitars and Equipment