Guitar Lessons for youngsters

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Guitar Lessons for youngsters

Postby BillB » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:37 pm

I've been approached by a younger couple who are good friends about giving their young son (6 or 7 years old) guitar lessons. I would really like to do that, but I have not taught guitar in a long time. And when I did, it was always to older teen-age kids.

They do not have a guitar, and I would probably have to help them find one for a reasonable price. I'm looking for some opinions to get headed in the right direction, so that I will be able to keep a youngster motivated and progress forward successfully. Apparently, he is showing a lot of interest in playing guitar. Here are questions that I have:

1. Do any of you have any suggestions about guitars for a child this age?
2. Do any of you have any advice about teaching beginners of this age?
3. Do any of you have any suggestions for teaching materials or method books?

And yes, I would definitely want to teach young people some Chet-style fingerpickin' at some point down the road. I just need help getting them successfully started.

Thanks!

Bill B.
BillB

Re: Guitar Lessons for youngsters

Postby Norm » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:47 pm

my suggestions:

1. guitars for kids of this age.
Get a budget from the parents and buy as good a guitar as you can for what they're willing to spend. Go to a well stocked music store and find the best for the money the kid's hand can manage. (a G chord might be a good litmus test)

Think about getting one with nylon strings or restringing a steel string guitar with light strings.

2. Method
In my teaching days I never had them that young. I would talk to the kid and see who he thinks 'good' guitar players are. And make sure its something they want to do.

I would see if the kid like to sing, even a little. Get him started on simple folk songs, chords only, and fancy them up with lead-in runs and that kind of thing. Work in the fancy slowly. It's hard to keep things fun when repetitious practice is necessary to master even simple things

google

guitar lessons for kids

and see how others approach the task.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby BillB » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Thanks, Norm!
Good suggestions to consider. I appreciate it!

Bill B.
BillB

Postby Steve Moran » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:50 pm

Bill,
At that age a Baby Taylor guitar may fit for a 6 or 7 year old. They could get one used off of Ebay and probably resell it later if they need to upsize and perhaps make some money on it.
Thanks
Steve
Steve Moran

Postby BillB » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:27 pm

Steve,
I'll have to see how much they are willing to spend, but that would probably be a good one to start with. Some of the eBay Baby Taylors are priced pretty high for a lot of folks. I talked with John McClellan about it, and he suggested a 1/2 or 3/4 size nylon string (as Norm did). He also suggested a couple of books for kids that age. I went ahead and ordered those, and will probably order one more that I found on my own. I'll probably be talking to these folks later this week and see if the interest is still there.

Thanks,

Bill B.
BillB

Return to Guitars and Equipment