Re: Interesting Article on Direction Of Guitar Industry

Postby rickr » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:12 pm

Sorry, I don't believe anything Henry Junk-O-WICZ
Says!
Rickr
rickr

Postby dgallent » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:05 pm

I do not care for Henry either but have total respect for George Gruhn as does every picker I know here in Nashville.
dgallent

Postby RonBloor » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:53 am

I've met George Gruhn and I consider him to be a real gentleman. I've only read about Henry J. so no comment. As for the article on Gibson, it was very interesting. Only about 1/4 of Gibson revenue now comes from their guitars!! Most of their revenue is now from consumer electronics!!! That's a real surprise. However, it really does fit with the stories I've read about Gibson as a company. Like most other companies these days, they are focused on the bottom line and how to increase their revenues. It would be interesting to get some perspective here. I wonder how some of the other American guitar companies are surviving and what lengths are they willing to go to in order to achieve financial success.
Thanks for posting the link to that article.
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Postby Norm » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:37 pm

The other factor is that (correct me if I'm wrong) there are no Chets, no Duane Eddy's, no George Harrisons or the like that energize young people to play.

I started working in music stores in the early sixties. The manager of the first store I worked in said "There was a time that if a case of six or twelve guitars got delivered here someone would have gotten fired." But when he said that the folk music boom was just spreading its wings and we were ordering guitars by the case. The Beatles and Rolling Stones were about to make being a guitar player a Must Do.

There was a veritable flood of new and vintage guitars that excited people and those people dreamed about being seen on TV and making the money and the girls they'd read about.

Over forty years later the old rock stars are just that, old, and not getting as many bookings and the guitar companies themselves are locked in a loop.

How many ways can you re-invent a Les Paul or a Telecaster? And who cares? When is the last time a guitar instrumental or guitar based hit has made an impact since 'Stairway To Heaven'? I read somewhere that record companies were editing down guitar solos on records because according to The Suits "nobody wants to hear too much instrumental"

Record companies are losing their clout and people is turning out mostly mediocre home recorded "originals" and wondering why people aren't throwing money at them.

Maybe I'm being too harsh but we don't have any current guitar heroes and really good paying jobs for musicians is a dwindling lake fast drying out.

It is the Dream that sells guitars and we're running out of dreamers...
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Eddie Estes » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:39 pm

The problem with Gibson is Henry. People no longer want to work there because of him.
The guitars are WAY overpriced for the quality you get now.

They took Chet's name for granted and lost it.
They took a nice guitar the Studio Classic based on Kirk Sand's design and replaced that with some piece of crap with a hole in the back and a sorry pickup.

That about sums it up for me.
Eddie Estes

Return to Announcement and News