Re: R.C. Allen Chet D'Angelico Clone Guitar

Postby gmoseley » Sat May 02, 2015 7:21 pm

Hello Al -
Its the EXL-1 When I sit around pickin' its gotten to be one of my favorites. Its so loud, you don't need an amp to hear it well. The thing plays like a dream, and as you know I've owned and played a LOT of different guitars. I'm like Norm,,,I know its no "real" DeAngelico but its one heck of an instrument for $1,295, tunes up like a bell w/no overtones and no dead spots up and down the fretboard. I use fairly light D'Addario NW strings (NY XLs) .11 .13 .17p .26 .37 .48
I like these new strings,,they stay in tune, of course I buy individual strings and make my own sets,,,these are kinda pricey but you can bend 'em and they come back in tune REALLY well !
If you're looking for a little different sound in a moderately priced guitar I highly recommend this EXL-1 (now if I could just get D'Angelico to pay me for my endorsements I'd be in good shape!) :lol:
Al, I hope you're doing OK these days. Good to hear from you.
Gayle
gmoseley

Postby pattie surman » Sun May 03, 2015 1:19 pm

D'angelico New Yorker Archtops were hand built in Nagoya Japan which featured Carved spruce tops with highly flamed Laminate back and sides.The NY17 featured a Kent Armstrong pickup,polished brass stairstep tailpiece, ebony fingerboard with split block MOPinlays, 25 1/2 scale length, Grover Imperial tuners and sold for $3,995.00. These guitars are no longer being made. You can still find one on EBay for between $2,500 and $3.000.00. The D'angelico advertised today is the Excel model which is all laminate , made by Samick in South Korea and sells for $1.299.00 to $1.599.00. pretty but not the same guitar. Stan.
pattie surman

Postby pattie surman » Sun May 03, 2015 1:19 pm

D'angelico New Yorker Archtops were hand built in Nagoya Japan which featured Carved spruce tops with highly flamed Laminate back and sides.The NY17 featured a Kent Armstrong pickup,polished brass stairstep tailpiece, ebony fingerboard with split block MOPinlays, 25 1/2 scale length, Grover Imperial tuners and sold for $3,995.00. These guitars are no longer being made. You can still find one on EBay for between $2,500 and $3.000.00. The D'angelico advertised today is the Excel model which is all laminate , made by Samick in South Korea and sells for $1.299.00 to $1.599.00. pretty but not the same guitar. Stan.
pattie surman

Previous

Return to FOR SALE or TRADE