What Guitar is Chet playing

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

What Guitar is Chet playing

Postby Bob key » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:20 pm

on youtube Dolly parton - chet Atkins I cant stop loving you, Ive never seen Chet play that guitar before,does anyone know what make it might be

thanks Bob
Bob key

Re: What Guitar is Chet playing

Postby Norm » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:11 pm

That took some digging!

If you go full screen on this clip

http://tinyurl.com/peojxza

and look right around 2:29 you can see a bat wing looking logo on the pickguard. That is the Micro Fret logo.

It is a guitar made by the Micro Fret people and if you check google/images you will see they had many different models.

This one
http://www.retrofret.com/products.asp?ProductID=4978

is close to but not exactly the mate to the one Chet used on the Dolly clip.

No idea why Chet is using it. He may have been checking out their namesake compensating nut.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Bob key » Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:40 am

Thanks Norm , It seemed strange to see Chet play another brand of guitar,he was always faithful to his endorcements , I don't know if he was still with Gretsch or Gibson by that time. the only other guitar was a tele with Jerry Reed.

Thanks Again Bob
Bob key

Postby Jim Prater » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:41 am

That is the Porter Wagoner Show. I think that is probably Buck Trent's guitar.
Jim Prater

Postby Larry Marchino » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:16 am

I don't know what kind of guitar it is, but I believe Chet is playing Buck Trent's guitar in this clip. I have seen the whole Porter Wagoner show that this clip is from and if I remember correctly Buck Trent plays the same guitar at other times in the show.
Larry Marchino

Postby Norm » Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:18 am

Dolly left Porter in 1974 so Chet was still with Gretsch but Baldwin had bought the company in 1967. It was in the seventies when Baldwin apathy started affecting the product so Chet's staunch brand loyalty may have been waning assuming the show was shot after 1967.

He doesn't look comfortable or happy with the guitar. I think he was curious about the Micro Fret nut assembly and was trying it out
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby gmoseley » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:10 am

I think I know what the deal was there. An old TV show of Porter's and Chet didn't bring his Gretsch so when asked to play with Dolly he used Buck Trent's guitar. Buck used to play a Micro Fret goitar for a while back then. Lenny Breau played a Micro Fret for a long time.
GM
gmoseley

Postby gmoseley » Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:31 pm

When I made my post the last post showing was Bob Key's. That's another thing I DO NOT like about this new Chetboard system of editing every post before its printed out. About 3 of us said the same thing but since the postings have to be scrutinized, none of us knew what the others had said because of the delay - - to me, that's a pain in the kazoo!
Gayle Moseley
gmoseley

Postby Tom Keller » Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:02 am

I agree that this was Buck Trent's guitar. At some point he went to a Mosrite guitar I must of seen most all those shows when they originally aired.

Tom Keller
Tom Keller

Postby David Elliott » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:47 pm

gmoseley wrote:When I made my post the last post showing was Bob Key's. That's another thing I DO NOT like about this new Chetboard system of editing every post before its printed out. About 3 of us said the same thing but since the postings have to be scrutinized, none of us knew what the others had said because of the delay - - to me, that's a pain in the kazoo!
Gayle Moseley

Yes Gayle, the new "inspection mode" of the ChetBoard has caused a dramatic reduction in the number of posts, and I suspect it won't be around much longer... how sad...

Regarding the "other" guitars used by Chet, this clip, (I believe) has him playing a Martin D-41, although I don't know whether or not it was his or not. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4qtLdKMfck

David
David Elliott

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment