Gibson Country Gent strings

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Gibson Country Gent strings

Postby Rodwphoto » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi , I have bought a Gibson Chet Atkins country gent one of the late issued, 2001 I think and currently got 10-46 D'adario on it, sounds quite good, however to get buzz free action a bit high, relief correct and frets good, anybody using heavier gauges or advice, know its down to your own feel etc however always good to here from others.Mainly finger pick and some jazzy stuff, super guitar.Also have one of the very late SST Gibson's with amazing neck compared to an older one I used to have. :Thanks Rod UK
Rodwphoto

Re: Gibson Country Gent strings

Postby Roger Pratt » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:26 pm

10 - 46 always good choice!!
Roger Pratt

Postby DagerRande » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:50 pm

I think you may be right, Roger. I once had a set of 13 - 57's and they took a lot of strength to handle well.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby gmoseley » Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:22 pm

Rande, I agree, I used to think I'd get a bigger note with heavier strings and I guess you do, to some extent, but about the largest thing I use, even on a big archtop jazz guitar is 11.5 14 18(p) 30 40 50. A wound third really eats up my middle finger nail, so I'll usually go with a plain 18 at the largest. Paul used to say that the big strings are fine if you can handle them but he never used a great big string, even on his archtops, they give so much tension, they will slow you down in your approach. I like 10-48 or 11-49 on Gretsch electrics.

Gayle Moseley
gmoseley

Postby padenmtjr » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:52 am

Rodwphoto wrote:Hi , I have bought a Gibson Chet Atkins country gent one of the late issued, 2001 I think and currently got 10-46 D'adario on it, sounds quite good, however to get buzz free action a bit high, relief correct and frets good, anybody using heavier gauges or advice, know its down to your own feel etc however always good to here from others.Mainly finger pick and some jazzy stuff, super guitar.Also have one of the very late SST Gibson's with amazing neck compared to an older one I used to have. :Thanks Rod UK

Well first of all did you check out the neck and frets or just go by looking. Next is it all strings or just certain ones at certain places on fret board. Next You need to use good strings German steel Round core strings like Pyramid nickle Classics. Most strings are hex core bad idea common sense should apply here. 10-46 is good to use no problem, but you will get better sound with heavy strings. I(f all things check out even the bridge for problems. I would say it is just a string height problem. Most people try to play with too low action. Try to learn to play with high action. Each Guitar has a sweet spot with height from neck to get best sound. This true with electric and non electric.
padenmtjr

Postby william wallace » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:39 pm

Hi...I have the Gibson Country Gent year 2002. Have always used D'Addario exl 115 strings 11-49.
Recently had the relief adjusted, backed off just a tad and have the action set at 4/64ths. This action a bit higher than before, but found the notes much cleaner and responsive.

Bill Wallace
william wallace

Postby Len R » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:48 pm

Congrats on your new guitar! I use D'Addario EXL 115W on my 6122-59 Country Gent. Those are 11-49 with a wound third. For me it's the best balance between good tone and ease of play. I find 10's too easy to push out of tune when playing certain chords, and also they seem to wear out faster. Enjoy the CG.

Len
Len R

Return to Guitars and Equipment