A Taste of Honey

Watch and share videos from youtube

A Taste of Honey

Postby Chuck » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:00 pm

Wanted to post one more last video, before I got busy with work/ busy season. My humble attempt at A Taste of Honey. Did the backing with biab, and a telecaster. Not sure I got all the chords completely right. Thanks for watching. This board is a great place to get feedback. Chuck/Cincinnati
Chuck

Re: A Taste of Honey

Postby Roger Pratt » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:40 am

Excellent Chuck!!
Roger Pratt

Postby Spadaro Paolo » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:58 pm

Chuck, great job and a great sound !!!!

I would also like to see the part played using the telecaster !!!!

:shock: :shock: Also it seems incredible, but I was trying these days the same song, using my Gretsch 6122 and band in a box; wanting to publish short just this cover !!!! You have anticipated me !!!! ;) ;)

However it must be said that Chet did a very attractive arrangement here !!! Beautiful song.

Again congratulations!!!

Paolo Spadaro.
Spadaro Paolo

Postby DagerRande » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:35 pm

Hey Chuck! That was nice and clean. Believe it or not, I performed that song in college in 1968, shortly after Chet recorded it. I believe his version came out in about 1966. Maybe I was a bit too ambitious, but I thought I heard him
playing that moving repeating bass line with his thumb. At least that's what I did! If I gave him too much credit for that then it's a good thing I never knew.....lol. It's like an engineer trying to convince a bumble bee that they shouldn't be able to fly! Physics seems to prove it to be impossible. Anyway that was a nice job and if you'd like to accept the challenge, try using your thumb for that walking bass line. I know first hand that it can be done!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Chuck » Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:55 am

Roger thanks for the nice comment.
Paolo, isn't that strange we were both thinking about trying this song at the same time. I would like to hear you do a version, I admire your playing.
Rande, I think you are absolutely right in thinking that was all played at once with the moving bass line. And I admire your ability to do it. I am going to try to work that out- I had originally worked this out as a piece to play in my duo, with the other guitar player putting in the moving bass line and descending chords, etc.. I think that is going to work, but now I want to, at your good suggestion, make it a standalone piece as well.
Thanks everybody. Chuck/Cincinnati
Chuck

Postby DagerRande » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:22 pm

Chuck, it's a good skill to develop and allows you to play other of his arrangements such as "DayDream", etc.
I think you'll be happy you did!
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby ceciltguitar » Mon May 04, 2015 9:10 am

Chet recorded "A Taste of Honey" in '66 or '67 on the LP "It's A Guitar World". My Dad bought this album and I listened to it about a million times. The first track on side one is "What'd I Say", and the bass string lick is the first thing that my Dad taught me to play on the guitar.
ceciltguitar

Return to Video Files