TV Jones/Paul Yandell Duo-Tron Pick Ups

Welcome to the new Chetboard!

TV Jones/Paul Yandell Duo-Tron Pick Ups

Postby william wallace » Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:51 pm

Hi Everyone: Just want to share my excitement with you in regards to the new Duo-Tron pick-ups installed in my Gibson Country Gentleman. WOW!! These pick-ups are great and really excel over the original humbuckers. The base side provide a rich full tone which truly complements the Chet sound, while the front strings are clear and responsive. These pick ups truly changed this guitar for the better. Thanks Bill
Attachments
IMG_4609.JPG
IMG_4606.JPG
william wallace

Re: TV Jones/Paul Yandell Duo-Tron Pick Ups

Postby Norm » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:49 pm

Chet said those bars made for "more note"

The pickup is nicely thought out. You can, to a degree, adjust the volume on your bass strings using the pole screws and the barred section keeps your main melody strings evenly picked up
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby Eddie Estes » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:17 am

Yeah I want to get a set for my 1981 Country Club
Eddie Estes

Postby william wallace » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:20 pm

The base side is excellent, however I would like the first E string to have a bit more volume plus fatter tone. Do you think raising the pole screws would achieve this. Thanks Bill
william wallace

Postby Norm » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:25 am

Raising the poles under a given string should increase the volume of that particular string. The blades don't have that luxury.

I see the guitar in the photo has the pickups opposing (facing differently) so on that one raising the pole on the first string on the treble pickup should give some gain there but of course that won't affect the bass (fingerboard) pickup.

Easy way to find out and you can always screw them back down if you want.

The other alternative is to take some shim material and put it underneath either or both pickups to raise the entire unit. As a rule, the closer the pickup is to the string(s) the louder the strings will be.

As long as you don't do any structural cutting or using non-soluable glue like epoxy you can always undo your experiment.

"Kid, when you buy something, you get something some guy designed for himself, not you. Spend the time finding one that is close to what you want, then do what is necessary to make it yours. Then you have what YOU want, not what some other guy thinks you should have".
__Les Paul (Quoted by Scott Jordan)
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

That should do it.
Norm

Postby rhackett » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Will these pups fit on a 1992 Gibson Tennessean as well?
rhackett

Postby albertgen » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:46 pm

Really cool! Is there a Huge difference compared to the Gibson Humbuckers? I see you put on a bar bridge too, I bet that really changes things? Al
albertgen

Postby william wallace » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:24 pm

Thanks Norm...I will raise the pole first, if not much difference will raise treble side of pick up as I found there is some movement there.
Hi Al....Yes these pick ups are a major improvement over the humbuckers. The tone on all strings is brighter/fuller and very clean. Part of the improved sound definitely is due to the brass Tru Arc bridge. I had better intonation with the tune amatic , but the trade off is the better tone.
These pick ups will fit any guitar as the mounting options are standard (no ears ) or English mount.

Thanks....Bill
william wallace

Postby Norm » Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:14 am

Re: difference in tone

If you want tone Ray’s Filter-Tron has it. If you want output the Gibson has it.
__Paul Yandell, CGP

… Ray Butts tended to keep his pickups around 4 K on the meters whereas Gibson Humbuckers meter out closer to 9K. The stronger pickups are easier to overdrive, a tonal effect rockers seem to prefer.

That should do it.
Norm

Postby william wallace » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:23 am

Regarding the tone Norm, I agree. Paul certainly had a great impact on all of us. I remember when he mentioned in FAQ that the Peavey Delta Blues was a good amp for the price , I immediately went out and bought one. Paul was right.

Take care....Bill
william wallace

Next

Return to Announcement and News