Guitar or CAAS?

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Guitar or CAAS?

Postby bellaguitar13 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:20 pm

Hey all,
Hope everyone is doin well.
So I finally have the money to be able to either buy a Chet model Gretsch, or take a trip to Nashville to go to CAAS and I'm having a difficult time making up my mind so I wanted to get some opinions on the topic to sway me one way or the other. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Bella
bellaguitar13

Re: Guitar or CAAS?

Postby Norm » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:43 am

I would opt for the guitar. CAAS, I'm sure, is a wonderful experience but when it's over all you have is memories. Buy a guitar (and play it regularly) you will have a lifetime partner that will give back exactly what you put into it.

The Talent at CAAS is always top drawer but the namesake, Chet, sadly is no longer in the building.

Buy the guitar. There is always a 'next time' for CAAS.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby emjaybee94 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:04 am

Hi Bella,

This is just my humble opinion, but I'd buy the guitar of my dreams, get some paying gigs and save that money to go to CAAS. Two dreams for the price of one!

Regards
Mike
emjaybee94

Postby George Beasley » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:27 am

You can always buy another Gretsch....but you will never be able to attend CAAS 2015 again. :)
Thanks,
George
George Beasley

Postby bellaguitar13 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:59 pm

Thanks for the replys guys, so then if I were to go ahead and buy a guitar, I've been looking into the old country gents, the 6120 CGP and the 6121-1955, any opinions on which would be more worth buying as they're all around the same price range? I found a CGP for $2350 but haven't got to play one yet..
bellaguitar13

Postby Norm » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:08 pm

"Worth buying"

You buy the guitar you like. The instruments you mention are all good, each has its own qualities, none are "better" than the others. It is always a matter of personal preference.

If you're buying a guitar as an "investment" good luck with that. For it to maintain its market value it would have to be essentially stored and unplayed because life gives us all dings and chips as we go along.

And no matter how good an instrument is that you buy it still needs to be played by someone who practices regularly. It is only about 10% of the players tone. The rest is in the amp and in his hands.
...that's how it looks to me...The opinion expressed above is my own and does not necessarily reflect the views of this station. Your mileage may vary...

Audio samples: http://www.youtube.com/user/acountrygent/videos
That should do it.
Norm

Postby bellaguitar13 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:17 pm

Thanks Norm-
I the worth buying in there was the wrong words to use, let's change that to which do you think is better in quality and I will be happier with? I realize I have to play them and see which I like better personally, but which do you personally prefer?
Bella
bellaguitar13

Postby DagerRande » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:40 pm

There are a lot of helpful tips and creative ideas that come from attending a CAAS convention. Once your mind is "fed", you can apply it to a guitar that you already own (assuming that you do). Intensifying the motivation to create and practice is to me more valuable than owning and additional guitar.
Rande Dager

We are all capable of doing more than we think we can!
DagerRande

Postby Richard Hudson » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:58 am

I think I would opt for the convention first. Simply because of the inspiration. It can't be described until you see for yourself. My favorite guitars for the Chet style is the G6122-1959 first, by far. Then possibly the CGP. Also I like the DSW, but the neck is not like the other two, but it plays easily and has a killer tone.
Richard Hudson

Postby Skip » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:26 am

I'd get the guitar now! after seeing all the great player's at CAAS You might never buy one. Every time I go to CAAS I want to come home and break My guitar. LOL :lol:
Skip

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment