Chet's Peaver guitar on display in the Netherlands

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

Chet's Peaver guitar on display in the Netherlands

Postby guitarchuck » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Attention Chet Atkins fans in the Netherlands! (Maybe if someone visits they can give us a report along with photos)

Chet's "Peaver" guitar that Paul Yandell built for him is currently on display in the Netherlands at the Groninger Museum:

EXHIBITION at GRONINGER MUSEUM:

The Myth of the Electric Guitar

14 JANUARY 2015 TO 08 MARCH 2015

http://www.groningermuseum.nl/en/exhibition/myth-electric-guitar

The exhibition 'The Myth of the Electric Guitar' will show electric guitars that belonged to famous guitarists. The guitars are assembled by collector Luc Henzig - http://www.tuneyoursound.com. Luc, who collected more than 600 guitars, makes 50 guitars available to the Groninger Museum for this exhibition. Electric guitars that were used by for example Mick Taylor (e.g. Rolling Stones), Joe Bonamassa, Rich Robinson (The Black Crowes) and Noel Gallagher (Oasis) are on display.

The exhibition shows on one hand the birth of the electric guitar with the first industrial made guitars in the mid '30 and on the other hand the three major guitar designs: Telecaster, Stratocaster and Les Paul. A selection of mostly artist owned guitars are presented to show the multitude of interpretations of those classic designs.

The guitars are accompanied by seven large paintings, made by the German portraitist and expert on rock music Oliver Jordan. This combination will result in an emotional Rock ‘n Roll story. Along with the exhibition a book will be published containing conversations with Luc Henzig and Oliver Jordan.

This series of videos allows to make a virtual visit of the exhibition and also allows to hear the instruments presented in the Groninger Museum. The aim of these videos is to present the sound of the guitars and is not a musical showcase of the performing artists. Therefore a minimalistic recording technique has been used without any effects. You will hear the pure sound of the guitar and the associated guitar amplifier.

http://youtu.be/5UpS7LmdFM0

Here's some information that the current owner has posted about the guitar:
http://www.tuneyoursound.com/collection/peaver-paul-yandell-custom-built-guitar-1981-chet-atkins
guitarchuck

Re: Chet's Peaver guitar on display in the Netherlands

Postby Hendrik » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:16 am

Thanks for sharing Chuck. I already saw a big poster on the museum, it's in the city where I live. Only 10 min. from my house. I wonder if there are any other interesting guitars besides the Peaver.
Hendrik

Postby guitarchuck » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:40 pm

Hendrick,
If you go, let us know about the guitars. I would love to see a photo of the Peaver display. They published a book about this guitar exposition and it has the Peaver in it. I understand it is 10 Euros. I contacted the museum to order a couple, but they wanted 40 Euros for shipping to the U.S. ! The owner of the collection is checking into a cheaper way to ship them for me. Hopefully I can get this book. It would be a nice keepsake since I owned the Peaver at one time.
guitarchuck

Postby Hendrik » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:49 am

Chuck, if I’m going, I can buy a few copies for you. I don’t know how much shipping is, so I don’t know if it would make a difference with what the museum charges.
Hendrik

Postby guitarchuck » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:12 pm

Thanks for the offer Hendrick. The current owner of the Peaver is supposed to keep me posted on weather or not he can get me a couple of copies. I haven't heard back from him yet. Are you planning on visiting the museum display anytime soon?
guitarchuck

Postby Hendrik » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:35 am

The expo is only till the 3rd of March, so I will be visiting it somewhere in the next few weeks.
Hendrik

Postby guitarchuck » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:17 am

Hendrick,
The current owner of the Peaver contacted me yesterday. He has 2 of the books for me, so don't worry about getting any for me. He's going to get me the shipping info and I'll purchase the books from him.
Enjoy the museum display and give us a full report!
guitarchuck

Postby Eddie Estes » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:45 pm

I need to get a good neck and I am going to try building me a Peaver.
I have a sunburst T-60 body.
Eddie Estes

Postby guitarchuck » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:32 pm

That will be cool Eddie! I built a guitar a not too long ago with electronics like the Peaver's, except I added a TV Jones SuperTron neck pickup. That gives me the option of making it sound like the Peaver or a Country Gentleman neck pickup sound. I didn't use a Peavey T-60 body and Fender neck though. I just used a Strat body & I Carvin neck that I had.
guitarchuck

Postby bill park » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:44 pm

Eddie Estes wrote:I need to get a good neck and I am going to try building me a Peaver.
I have a sunburst T-60 body.

Hey Eddie -

This company built me a custom neck for my Telecaster -

http://www.usacustomguitars.com/necks/#neckfeatures

I wanted a very wide, thick neck with an ebony fingerboard, and they did an excellent job.

Let us know how your Peaver turns out...

Bill
bill park

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment