FG Magazine

Talk about guitars, amps and other gear.

FG Magazine

Postby ChrisM » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:26 pm

Per the website issue #71 is out. I don't know how long it's been out. I haven't received my copy yet and I'm wondering if any one else has received it yet.

Anyone receive issue #71 yet?

Thanks

ChrisM
ChrisM

Re: FG Magazine

Postby bill park » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:31 pm

I subscribed to it 10 months ago, and I've received only one issue (CGP - Chet statue on cover). Still waiting for Issue 71. I've inquired to every email address on their website, with no replies from anyone.
Are they still in business?
http://fingerstyleguitar.com/contact.php
bill park

Postby David Elliott » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:41 pm

Bill,

Well, Here we go again...

With all the problems with this publication I've read about over the past couple years, I'm amazed that people are still cutting them, (and the people involved), slack. There is simply no excuse for this type of sloppy subscription service, (and in my way of thinking, out and out mis-representation!)

Regardless of who is responsible for publishing this magazine, whether or not they are "nice guys", are "old time" friends of the CAAS, etc. etc. , "friends" don't accept money for services not rendered, and then not respond to legitimate inquiries about that fact.

I am not a subscriber, nor will I be, until I can be reasonably assured that I will get what I have paid for! I did send in for the 'Chet Statue' issue, and received it (albeit after several weeks after my purchase was noted on my credit card.) Another example of some sort of 'disconnect' between the credit card and the subscription services.

Thanks, but no thanks...
David Elliott
w6dle@ix.netcom.com
David Elliott

Postby RandeDager » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:10 pm

I in the same situation. I subscribed for 2 years also 10 months ago and have only received one issue. Wasn't it supposed to be every other month? I made my decision to subscribe based on my faith in Bill Piburn and the excellent work he did with Tommy Jones' materials for Bransong. I guess none of that should have used as an indicator of future excellence.

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Postby rod_locker » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:13 pm

I subscribed well before the CAAS of 2010. The man at the display for the magazine said the new issue would be waiting for me once I got home. It never came. I contacted my Visa Card and they re-imbursed me for my subscription. I could never talk to anyone, get a e-mail reply back or anything from those at the magazine. At least I got my money back form Visa. Very disapppointed because there are very few good magazines that cover this style of guitar playing.
rod_locker

Postby apargeter » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:46 pm

I live in the UK and took out a subscription a while back with Ashley Mark Publishing who were distributing the magazine over here and who are reputable music publishers I have dealt with several times in the past. I received three issues of the magazine including the CGP issue. However, this last week they sent me a letter stating the following:

"The publisher of this magazine has recently changed - and the new publisher is having difficulty in assuring us of a regular supply of future issues. We have therefore decided to discontinue distributing this magazine."

They apologised for no longer being able to supply the magazine and told me I was due a refund of the outstanding balance of my subscription.

It would certainly appear that the magazine has serious problems.
Andrew Pargeter
apargeter

Postby ChrisM » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:30 pm

Well it just seems like more of the same. I emailed 3 or 4 people listed on their website, granted it's only been a day or so but still based on past experience and all I am not hopeful.

I will have to check how I paid for my subscription and if I can somehow get a refund that's what I'm gonna do. If I ever see an issue on the newstand and it looks interesting, maybe i'll pick it up. It seems like a more reliable way...

Seems like the money would be better spent on John Knowles and/or Craig Dobbins subscriptions. I don't hear any complaints here regarding their publications.

Thanks
ChrisM

Postby baggetta » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:45 am

Same problem here. I've subscribed to Fingerstyle Guitar Magazine for over five years now and for the most part, until the end of the old regime, I received issues on a regular basis. Since the end how ever the issues have been sporadic and I have not received the current issue yet. It is also not available at Barnes and Nobel, since I checked the last couple of times there. I've ordered back issues in the past and it was nothing to wait two months to get them delivered. I'm not a fan of the postal system but I don't believe it was their problem. I sent an email to FG over a week ago, but, as has happened often in the past, I have not heard anything (it didn't bounce). One wonders why a business even has an email address when they refuse to emails they received.
It was a great magazine, but I fear the end is near.
Best
Al B.
baggetta

Postby RandeDager » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:42 pm

Maybe it was because "the end is near" that they were bold enough to entice people like me to subscribe for
2 years.

Rande
Rande
RandeDager

Postby RonBloor » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:21 pm

I was tempted, but just ordered a single copy of the CGP issue and got it very quickly!!!
Sometimes I get a magazine subscription, then after a few years I just want it to go away... Well it's like that stinky stuff that you sometimes get on the bottom of your shoe when you are not careful where you walk.. You just can't seem to get rid of it :) They hound and pester you ad infinitum. Besides, in most cases there is very little of value in most of the issues... So, I'm done with magazine subscriptions.. I'm sounding like a grumpy old man!! :D
Ron Bloor
RonBloor

Next

Return to Guitars and Equipment